We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

cape town, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

My husband and I are going to Greece in June for 10 days- WITHOUT our young kids. We are planning to visit Santorini for 3 days and then Naxos and Paros for 3 days each. This is our first trip to Greece. Please advise where we should stay in Santorini. We are from South Africa (weak Rand!) so our budget is about 100 euros per night for both of us. We are looking for lots of beach relaxation and some sightseeing, good restaurants and some shopping. We dont want to be so surrounded by tourists that we have to wait in long queues for tables etc and want to be in a hotel room that is quiet after about 10.30pm but dont want to be in a place that is too quiet, without any enery either. PLEASE HELP!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

From your description I suggest you focus your Santorini hotel search on Perissa Beach.

santorini.com/hotels-in-santorini/perissa.htm

Paros is an excellent partner island for Santorini. You'll get have really diverse experience of the islands pairing these two together. Parikia is the main town and there's lots to see and do there.

cape town, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

Thanks for your valuable input BLL!

I was thinking of Fira or Oia. Do you suggest Perissa because of the low budget?? It looks like we may need to increase it somewhat because since we are only going to be in Santorini for 3 days, we would love to have a view of the Caldera and do some walking between the villages. Also dont want to be so quiet that we are no where near the hub of activity. Can you suggest what kind of costs are we looking at for accommodation in Fira or Oia??

THANK YOU!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

I recommended Perissa for budgetary reasons and for the fact that you said 'lots of beach relaxation' There are no beaches on the caldera side of the island. Perissa's not as busy as on the caldera side of the island but it will still be lively there.

You may be able to find a room with a view of the caldera for €100 or less if they haven't already all been booked. Check Oia Waves, Old Oia Houses, Casa Sofia, Villa Kallisti, Delfini Hotel, Fotinos Houses, Thea Studios, Blue Dolphins Apartments, Villa Maria Damigou, Sunset Hotel, Hotel Mylos, Scirocco Apartments and Caldera Butterfly Villas.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 23:24
cape town, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

Thanks for your help BLL!

How far away is Oia or Fira from Perissa?? From your description, it does sound like Perissa is what we are looking for but I have noticed on some of the other posts that Perissa is quite grubby and not as well maintaned as fira and oia. I am happy not to be in a very touristy place but if Fira and Oia are the places to stay in Santorini, well since we are only going to be there for 3 days and not sure when we will get back to Greece, we better do it right. I also like the idea of watching the sunset from your balcony rather than having to queue and struggle to find a restaurant or bar from which to watch it. What do you suggest??

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

Perissa is about 40 minutes by car from Oia, longer if you take the bus since you have to switch in Fira.

http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

I would not characterize Perissa as grubby. You will find that no matter where you stay there will be negative comments, some of them quite nasty. I will say that the beaches are more oriented towards the package tour markets. This has the positive side effect of lower prices and more for the money spent.

Sadly, you will not find a hotel in Oia with a sunset view for €100/night. Those Oia hotels I've already mentioned are what you can choose from, and they all have an excellent view of the caldera, just not the sunset. If you prefer the sunset view then focus your search on Firostefani. And keep in mind that these are all more along the line of self-catering apartments than full service hotels.

cape town, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

Hi BLL,

we have spoken to some friends and done some research and it seems as though Oia is the place for us to stay. We have had to increase our budget but that seems to be ok because our other destination Paros, seems quite a bit cheaper. The RESIDENCE SUITES seems very well recommended. What do you think???

Also can you recommend where we should stay in Paros??

Thanks so much!!!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

The Residence is a good choice (no pool) along with many others in the same price category. Check Strogili Houses, Rimida Villas, Filotera Villas, Lauda Hotel, Lucky Homes, Old Oia Houses, Onar Villas, Golden Sunset Villas, Chelidonia Villas, Ifestio Villas and Fotinos Houses.

cape town, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

Thanks BLL! Are these options with a pool? We would really prefer to have a pool so would be grateful if you could advise us of similar type hotels with a pool.

Thanks again.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

Check the websites for the hotels mentioned to see if they have a pool. Some do, some don't. There is also a public access pool in Oia, the Lioyerma Cafe/Pool, with a website.

10. Re: Visiting Santorini in min June- need help and where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 10:05