We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

Hi All: I've learned so much in prep for our trip from these forums. We leave next week and will be on the island for 4 days. We're staying in Oia.

A few questions:

-Vineyards, I noticed that some have seasonal hours, any idea where we can/should visit in April?

-Swimming: I'm assuming it will be way too cold to swim, right?

-Ancient Thera- I keep finding conflicting information about if this site is open or not?

-Tours: Typically we're not into bus tours...we prefer walking tours, but I'm wondering if there are any tours that are highly recommended on the island?

-Walking: we want to do the walk from oia to fira, my assumption is that it's really easy to figure out where to go, or are there maps/guide books we should be buying?

Thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

-Not sure what will be open in April but you can check Sigalas in Oia. It's down the driveway behind Santorini Mou Taverna, which is located on the road at the entrance to Oia across from the Perivolas Villas. There is a wine tour that you can take if it interests you: http://www.santoriniwinetour.com

-Yes, too cold to swim.

-If available and if it interests you there are caldera/volcano/Thirassia daytrip boat excursions offered through any travel agency.

-To get to the trailhead for the walk between Oia and Fira walk out of Oia on the road, past Santorini Mou. Keep an eye out for a large building on the cliff on the right. That's the desalination plant. Just past that building's parking lot you'll see a path leading up the hill toward the cliff. That's the beginning of the path leading to the trailhead. If you get confused just use your common sense. Keep the sea on your right shoulder and you'll eventually find the trail.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

Hi from Fira!

Dress warmly - it's cold here!!! And it's been rainy too. You didn't ask, but since I'm here (and cold), I thought I'd mention it. I hope the weather improves but I was wearing a hat, gloves, a shirt, a sweatshirt, and a long wool coat today and I was still cold!

Enjoy your trip!! :)

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

in oia visit the sigalas winery

visit too the santowinery and now is open

the ancient thera is open 0830am-1430pm exept mondays

the last two weeks the weather is cold, but maby later is more hot.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

Thank you for your posts!

I saw on the weather that by this weekend it's supposed to be sunny and in the 60s (F) -- so hopefully that is true!

Either way, we'll bring layers!

We're thinking of renting a car one day that we're there, I was thinking we'd drive up to Ancient Thera that day-- any recommendations for places to drive to from Oia (that we wouldn't be able to access by bus/walking?).

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

Be sure to go to your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required. $15 plus photo charge if you don't have 2 passport photos.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

We're back from our amazing trip to greece, and I wanted to thank everyone for their guidance-- we had a fantastic time, in large part due to all of your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

Welcome back E-ETravel:-) Would love some details;-)) How did it go..how exactly (love trip reports!) did you have a fantastic time..and EnjoY?!

Riga
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

Is it still cold ? Going in 4 weeks.. Hope it will be warm enough to swim..

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

It should be teetering on 'hot' in about 4 weeks Oljka:-) Enjoyin'!

10. Re: Leaving next week! Few questions about Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 02:19