We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals/Taxi

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals/Taxi

Hi,

Going to be in Santorini for 7 nights in mid-late August, staying at Anastasias Apartments in Imerovigli on our honeymoon. We are New Yorkers, so we have a problem sitting still. My fiancee will not want to take public transportation (she never really feels comfortable doing so, and won't force the issue on our honeymoon). We will explore all of the island, and have a feeling, most nights we will want to hang out in Fira and Oia for dinner, drinks, sunset watching, etc. Is it worth renting a car for the entire time? Or just a few days to explore the island, and walk and take taxi's for nightlife in Oia/Fira. Part of me wants to rent a car for the entire time just to have options, but I don't want to be foolish with money either and waste it.

Parking in August seems to be another challenge in Oia and Fira from my searches.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

There's not a lot to see or do in Imerovigli and Anastasis is actually outside the main village area towards Oia and as such is even a bit more remote, so a car will really come in handy. I doubt you'll want to walk to your room after a night out 'on the town' in Fira, it's close to 2 miles uphill all the way back. Taxis start to get scarce after midnight.

Most cars have manual transmissions, so if you need an automatic in August you'd better book in advance to make sure one will be available to you. Avoid Odysseys Car Rental. Be sure to go to your local AAA office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required, for $15 plus a photo fee if you don't bring 2 passport photos with you.

You are absolutely correct that finding parking for your car in Fira and Oia and at the beach in August will be a serious challenge. You may have to park further away from where you'd like and do some walking. On these village maps you will see the parking areas marked as a white "P" in a blue field. You can also park along the roadsides as long as there aren't any no-parking signs and you don't make the already narrow roads too narrow for a large bus to pass by safely. santorini-hotels.info/santorini-island-santo…

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

Thanks! good tip about the automatic transmission. . Despina from Anastasis I believe can arrange for a car rental for me, and I've read already about the IDP (waiting for my permit in the mail) and to take out the rental coverage.

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

I contacted my hotel and they will be providing me with an automatic Nissan Micra. Do you think it's worth it to bring my portable GPS to get around the island? I would need to buy the Europe maps for $50 USD.

Firostefani, Greece
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

No, not worth it to bring your GPS. I'm not even sure it is charted right in Santorini.. A couple of years ago, using a handheld system driving to Oia (for the fun of it really) it showed the car driving in the sea :-)

Santorini is not a big island and has pretty decent signage to get from point A to B.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

GPS? Lol, you guys :-))

The island's only about 7 miles top to bottom and in places you can see both east and west coastlines at the same time.

If you do get lost, just remember, all roads lead to Fira, from there you can get back home.

Martin

Firostefani, Greece
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

bigsnitch, I know, I live here. My brother in law had brought it more for Athens, and I turned it on on the way to Oia to see if it would even find us.. It showed the road, but had the arrow signifying the car in the sea to the east..

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

That sort of thing happens in the UK too - there are all sorts of stories about people slavishly doing everything their GPS tells them too, and they end up in rivers, farmer's fields etc.

They seem to be great on big highways, but not so good on the finer detail, which is when you actually need them!

Martin

Firostefani, Greece
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

Used one once in California going up the coast. At one point Bob (as we affectionately named the ominous voice coming from the dash) told us to turn left. Only problem was that to the left was a house. Thankfully, we had sense enough to, instead of turning left, yelling at Bob to give other directions, hahaha!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

Slight correction. It's about 7 miles from Oia to Fira and another 7 miles or so from Fira to Akrotiri, so the island is closer to 15 miles long from end to end.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rentals/Taxi

I stand corrected on the size of the island, probably because I don't often go to Oia.

I still defy anyone to get lost there though.

Martin