We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental

Dear All!

I will be going to Santorini at the end of June and wanted to hire a Car for one day to explore the quieter areas. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with any car rental companies - which to avoid and which are reliable!

I have seem the names Spiridakos and Vazeos appear on forums but lack opinions with personal experience.

Any suggestions of car rentals would be great - especially with personal experience.

Thank you!!!

Matthew

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

Both Spiridakos and Vazeos are reliable. If you plan to stay in Oia Vazeos is the one to contact since their office is there. Spiridakos is at the ferry port an in Fira. Stay away fom Odysseys Rental. Lately there have been reports of fraudulent damage charges showing up on customer's credit card statements.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

Tony's in Fira is also reputable.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Thank you both as I will be staying in Fira from your suggestion I guess it leaves me with either Tony's or Spiridakos

Would it be better to hire the car online or best to hire when I am there at their offices? Would it be the same price although Spiridakos claims they have a 30% discount for bookings online

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,408 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

I have just had a good hire with Spiridakos: pick up at the airport and drop off at 1 am at the port to catch a ferry to Rhodes. A nice (if well-used) Hyundai Getz, and no hassles with the return.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

I would not recommend www.santorinicarhire.com (aka. Emver in Kamari) as my own experience with them has been extremely painful and unprofessional.

Mentioned in this post
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Hi! I came yesterday from Santorini after a car rental with Vazeos. Everything was ok except the fact I made reservation for a Nissan Note and they got me a very old falling apart Hyunday Accent. It was just for a day, but If I were staying more time, I would have asked them to change it for other car.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

You could either hire a car in advance (especially if you need it delivered at the port/airport) or once you arrive.

Both the companies you mention are reliable, they rate their cars in categories eg you could get a quote for a car catecory A, which will mean X make & model car or similar (in size & engine power)

Also all hotels or most hotels have recommendations and they could help you in case you decide after your arrival.

Have fun!

8. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 06:16