We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: May 11-14

NoCal
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report: May 11-14

In spite of the strike on May 11, we arrived on the island with an evening flight from Athens as scheduled. We spent three nights at Remezzo Villas in Imerovigli.

WARNING: Do not go to Santorini unless it's July, August, or September if you want guaranteed, stable nice weather. The first two days were very cold and very windy. While the island is still a beauty, this substantially detracted from our experience. Now I understand why many locals leave the island in winter.

A friendly local was waiting at the airport with our rental car (cheapest option at santorinicarrental.com, 75 euro for 3 days). Apart from the fact that the tank was empty, we had zero problems with the car rental. Having read the horror stories here, I was careful to take pictures while picking it up. It turned out that renting a car was the right thing to do: We drove over 200 km in three days, exploring every corner of the island.

Day 1: Drove to the hotel (not easy to find). I have only praise for Remezzo Villas. The place is gorgeous and the service outstanding. Had dinner at Taverna Imerovigli (OK).

Day 2: Our favorite breakfast: visit the village bakery, drive to Firostefani, have breakfast on the bench next to the main square with caldera view. Explored Fira. Drove to Santo winery (great view). Continued to Perissa (semi-deserted). Drove all the way along the coast. Stopped for lunch at a small harbor near red beach. Had pretty good lunch at restaurant overseeing the harbor (I think it was Dimitri). Very good Santorini salad and octopus. After lunch we stopped in Pyrgos, then drove to Red Beach (beautiful). Finally drove all the way down to the lighthouse. Stopped at Boutari winery on the way back. Had dinner in Fira at Nikolas (mediocre).

Day 3: Drove up the island peak. Not much to see there, the monastery was closed. There is a small chapel, which was closed as well. Drove past Kamari to ancient Thera. Very nice, but the wind almost blew us away. Lunch at Galini (good octopus and sardines). Stopped in Fira with the intention to see the museum, but it was already closed (3 PM!). Drove to Oia for the sunset. Lots of people gathered for a regular sunset (duh!). Had the best meal on the island at Roka.

Day 4: Saw the museum in Fira (small but nice), then drove north to Domaine Sigalas winery. Very nice winery, with excellent Vin Santo and very good Niambelo red, a favorite of mine (8.20 euro per bottle at the winery). Lunch in Amoudi bay. The bay is gorgeous. The lunch at Katina was mediocre (I missed Tis Pandoras, the first restaurant coming in). Back to Fira for last minute souvenir shopping and to pick up some gyros at Luckys for our evening flight to Athens.

We enjoyed our three busy days in Santorini. But why is it that fish costs so much? 40-50 euro (except for calamari and octopus), and not at fancy places. I can't believe locals pay that much.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
350 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

Dear Friend. I like to thank you for visiting our island for your holidays and as I can understand you liked it. The weather in did was not nice at the beggining of May and it was unsual also for us, if you spoke with any locals they must have told you that. Santorini has windy days but not as it was this at the beginning of May, some days also rain a litle bit. Just for the information in the year 2010 the last rain in Santorini was the 18th of February. So please don't say to others "Do not go to Santorini unless it's July, August, or September" is not correct. It was just a bad weather while you were here and that was only accidently.

Once more thank you for visiting Santorini.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

Enjoyed reading your report, sorry about the weather, it is a chance you take travelling in May. I've been to many Greek islands in May over the years and have usually been lucky with the weather but have had some rain and cooler days too. Personally I would never travel to Greece in July or August as it would be too busy for me and too hot for walking. I've also had some rain late September and by choice would go in June as the ferries are more reliable and the weather is usually lovely.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

You were definitely unucky with the weather - I've been in May before and it was scorching. I also went in July one year and a couple of nights we were sat around the pool wearing borrowed fleeces just to keep warm.

It just goes to show that you can plan and plan anything the the n'th degree and even the most rabid control freak can be caught out by the weather.

What makes your God smile? When you tell him/her/it your plans :-))

It sounds as though you still had a good time though, and that's all that matters really.

Martin

Edited: 03 June 2011, 10:12
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

Yep, I arrived on May 10 for one week and it was blowing a gale (just like my home town weather). Although it was VERY blustery, it wasn't actually a cold wind - thank goodness - just annoying. A case of getting on with sightseeing.

As for weather later in the year, I arrived the first week of June 2010 and the first five days were truly cold, and I hadn't packed enough warm clothes, so I was really caught out. On the sixth day, it was like someone flicked a switch and it was glorious summer, which continued for the remainder of my two week stay.

Fish prices, my understanding is that fish is sold by weight - bigger the fish, higher the price. Some fish will have been frozen, which will account for the cheaper prices.

Sorry about your experience at Nikolas in Fira. I had a very yummy lamb stew this year which really hit the spot. I've usually found them to be good and an enjoyable spot to eat, although I will admit that one meal wasn't as good as I've usually experienced. But that's only once out of multiple visits throughout the years.

Apart from all that, I'm glad you managed to see a good proportion of the island and enjoy yourselves.

Edited: 03 June 2011, 11:32
Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

Nice report - sorry you missed out on the weather.

Thanks for the useful tips with places to eat and things to do. The brekky at Firostefani I have had the privilege of doing too - I can still see the caldera view from there - what a spot!

Brings back memories - ah well till next time.

Thanks again

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

Welcome back germinator:-) Thanks for taking the time to come back with your wonderful share..and yes, as far as fresh fish goes, it's sold by weight so you should always have them weigh it before they cook it so you know the price and don't end up with sticker shock;-) You managed to get allot in! Renting a car with limited time is the way to go..Glad you enjoyed!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

You were rather unlucky with the weather but as the others say May can be unpredictable. For the past five or so years I've travelled to Santorini in late May or June and only once had a couple of days of iffy weather .... last year was hot in the extreme in early June. I arrived yesterday - and it was still 22 degrees at 11pm! It did cool down a couple of hours later (to be expected) but its a perfect summer's day here today, hot enough for swimming, and it needs to be very warm for me to venture into the water.

Agree that those benches in Firostefani are an ideal place to take in a scenic breakfast.

Good report - shame you didn't see the recent post about Nicholas where most of us had disappointing experiences in the past year or so ... anyway sounds as though you had a few great dining experiences too.

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

dear germinator

I agree with tuareggs , isnot corect the ''Do not go to Santorini unless it's July, August, or September if you want guaranteed, stable nice weather. ''

if the dates where you visit the island has windy that not mean may and june the weather in islands isnot good!!!

Is really this year the may was cold , but now in june the weather is perfect.

you wrote '' Now I understand why many locals leave the island in winter. ''

who tell you that!! is incorect . the last years many locals return from athens and live in winter in santorini. before 3years in santorini live all year about 8000pers , now is more to 15000pers .

many hotels owners is not from santorini island , they stay only in summer but only some of them , the local people stay all year in island.

Now about fish

dear has many kind of fish , some cost 5-7euros per plate and some 40-80 per plate, depence of the kind of fish!! in restaurants the fish price is exacly doubleprice of the normalfishprice, for example we buy the cheap kind of fish 5-10euros per kilo the same fish you buy in restaurant exacly 10-20euros per kilo!! we buy too some very nice fish about 25-30euros per kilo that fish you find in restaurants 50-60euros. \

Thanks

9. Re: Trip report: May 11-14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 06:17