We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

I am travelling to The Greek Isles in July most probably with mt husband and my 4 and 11 yr old. We'll only have one to two weeks. What would you recommend? We want pretty :)

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

I recommend you do some basic research, decide on a few options and come back with specific questions to help you narrow it down, as this is far too general to advice. How can we recommend places, as you don't provide any info, eg what is your entry point to Greece and where you 'll then depart from to go home, what is your traveling style, interests, budget and so on ? Different people like to do different things on their vacations, traveling in a different pace and staying in different types of accomondation.

new york
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

Children love the beach. Check out the island of Naxos and specially Plaka beach. There, you can find small apartments for very reasonable prices, good food and an eight miles long beach all white sand dunes. From Naxos you take day trips to many other islands. Using Naxos as a base you can visit Paros, Ios, Santorini, Amorgos, e.t.c

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

Well I don't have much idea but have read that Corfu and Rhodes are small enough to do in a short time. We will most probably fly from UK and to be honest entry point will depend on the advise we receive. We're staying in youth hostels in the UK so we're not top budget. Really just want to see the beautiful beaches and white buildings you think of when you think of the Greek Isles. It's so overwhelming. I don't know where to start. Would Athens be worth a visit or is it similar to Rome?

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

Thanks Johnny, looked up that island and it seems central and beautiful. Which neighbouring islands would best suit children for day trips. Are day trips expensive? Accessible? Can you do more than one in a day or would you recommend more time and less places? If flying from the UK, where would we fly into?

Edited: 17 July 2011, 00:24
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

The white cube buildings is mostly a thing to find on Cyclades group of islands. The islands mentioned by johny are part of this island group.

If flying from UK, there are flight to Santorini (and Mykonos), then you can take ferry to other islands (for example Naxos is approximately a 2hrs ferry ride from Santorini), and fly out of Athens if you decide to visit, so you don't backtrack.. Beaches vary depending on island and location. "Would Athens be worth a visit or is it similar to Rome?" I am not quite sure what that means to be honest. In general it's not easy to be based on one island and visit other islands on day trips in Greece, this is why "island hopping" is so famous. But there are some exeption on this rule, due to how regular ferries timetable works, you can be based on Paros and use ferries to cross over Naxos AM for a day (45 minutes ferry ride), then return on a PM ferry. From those islands there are boat trips to Mykonos/Delos 2-3 times per week (a long trip though). Santorini and Small Cyclades are an other boat trip option. From Paros, you can very easily and fast visit Antiparos on local ferry. Amorgos is close to Small Cyclades and although ferry timetables are on odd hours, you may organise some visit. There are usualy more boat trips localy, to small islets or round the island trips etc. Based on Santorini you can of course take volcano tours and visit Thirassia island too. And so on...

Corfu is part of the Ionian islands, those islands have an 'Italian" influence due to historical reasons, they are quite green too, comparing to dry Cyclades. Ionian Islands are very popular to Italian people, but some resorts on Corfu and eslewhere welcome a large ammount of English package visitors,so there are direct flights from UK. You have to be very carefull when choosing where to be based. Corfu is a largish island comparing to most Cyclades islands, there is plenty to do on island itsself, talking about day trips, you can visit Paxoi island, Albania, or cross over to Igoumenitsa on a car hire and explore parts of mainland.

Rhodes also offers direct flights from UK, and many direct flights from Eastern Europe countries, Holland and Germany. Rhodes is part of the Dodecannese islands, so again different architecture. Rhodes Town features a mideival old town. Now this is one of the bigger Greek islands. Although it is southern and eastern than the others you mentioned, it is somehow lush too. Plenty to keep you occypied on Rhodes of course, and then you have boat trips to Bordrum,Turkey, Nissiros,Kalymnos and Symi islands and so on.

No matter where you'll stay, please take into concideration that July is a busy month. I haven't understand if you mean July 2011 or you research for 2012. If it's 2011 you are talking about, especially on a budget, I suggest you make up your mind as soon as possible. If you are in UK (sorry,not sure where armidale is) having a look on your local TA for some last minute deals on flights+accomondation is not a bad idea either. Last but not least, July is a hot month, this weekend we have a heat wave and experience 40 C temperatures in most location. Important sxpect to bare in mind if one is not used to much heat, and especially traveling with young kids in tow.

CRETE
Level Contributor
301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

I believe that the kids will love the beaches of Cyclades islands. As long as you ''are not top budget" i recomment you to stay in vacation rentals that are cheaper than hotels (you can find many of them in tripadvisor and read reviews for each one).

If you stay in Paros you can make a daily trip to Antiparos. If you stay in Santorini you can make a daily trip to Thirassia island (it is actually the less expensive daily trip to another island as a round trip ticket by small boat costs only 2,20 euro per adult and the trip duration from Oia to Thirassia island is only 8 minutes). But you cannot make a daily trip from Naxos to Santorini.

armidale
Level Contributor
190 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

Ok thanks, Great advise!!!! So now I'm thinking fly to Santorini from the UK (we are from Australia and will be visiting England/Ireland first ) How long do you suggest we spend in Santorini before making the trip to either Naxos or Paros ? Then should we spend ,say 2 or 3 days on each of these islands to truely appreciate them instead of trying to do day trips and tire ourselves and the kids out? Which place would be most kid -friendly? How do you get from the islands of Naxos or Paros back to Athens? You have been very helpful, Thankyou.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

Naxos and especially the St. George beach will be the most child-friendly:

http://tinyurl.com/cfzhgk

It has a lot of accomodation options, and is also within easy walking distance from everywhere in Naxos Town.

new york
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

Well, since you are on a budget I do not suggest to stay long in Santorini. To have a good time in Santorini you cannot be on a budget. Take the boat and go directly to Plaka beach in Naxos where you can a find a small apartment for as little as 50 euros right on the best beach in Greece. Beautiful sunsets every evening since the place faces west. Naxos is big and if you rent a car you can spent ten days visiting a different destination everyday. Beautiful villages, lush vegetation in some places, and genuine rural landscape. There is a lot people who have made Naxos their regular destination for many years in a row.

Look around if there is charter directly to Naxos from the UK. Naxos does have an airport

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Would it be ok to travel to the greek isles with kids?

"Naxos does have an airport"

Well, yes it does, but the runway is too short for jets. Martysooty has the right idea by looking into flights to Santorini. Personally I prefer flying to Athens, then a ferry or connecting flight to the islands, but Mykonos and Santorini are the nearest international airports to Naxos. Of the two, Santorini has better ferry connections. :o)