We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speaking of flight connection times...

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Speaking of flight connection times...

From what I've been reading, I'm not too optimistic about my schedule.

I'm flying from FCO (Rome) to Athens on EasyJet in October. Departure at 6:40am, scheduled to arrive at 9:45am. Our connecting flight is on Aegean at 10:35am. I guess I should have looked into this more than I did, but I didn't want to miss out on the fares. We will not be checking any bags so I was assuming that we would be able to just walk straight from one gate to the next without having to go through customs or security. I'm guessing I'm wrong about that. Should I not even bother to look into this further and try to book another flight? The next flight is at 6:20pm so we would be very disappointed to be missing the sunset on our first night.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

You may want to ask the question on the Italian forum, where someone with knowledge of of FCO transfer times can help. You may also try to get an answer from easyJet about boarding passes, but I'm not sure how successful that will be.

Personally I would try to find a later Rome to Athens flight, either the 6:20 pm Aegean or possibly another airline with a shorter layover. Aegean Airlines advertise that any ticket can be changed, but you may pay a small fee for doing so. :o)

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

I'm sorry, I might be misunderstanding, but I think I probably was unclear on my explanation. My final destination will be Santorini.

I will be traveling from Rome to Athens, then connecting from Athens to Santorini.

FCO-ATH - 06:40am-09:45am (EasyJet)

ATH-JTR - 10:35am-11:20am (Aegean Airlines)

I'm trying to get to Santorini as early as possible, but at least early enough to beat the sunset. I hope that makes things more understandable. My first post seems a little scatter-brained now that I am re-reading it. Thanks for the help!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

Since you're coming from Rome you will have already been processed through Passport Control and Customs, so you won't have to do that again in Athens. You can check in online for your Aegean boarding passes 24 hours in advance so if you can get to a computer and printer you won't have to do that in Athens either. And you can look for an open Aegean check-in computer terminal at FCO and perhaps get your BPs there. It'll be tight, but I'm thinking that with BPs in hand, since you aren't checking any luggage and as long as your FCO-ATH flight arrives on time you should be able to go right to your connecting flight's departure gate in time for that early flight.

Good Luck!

Edited: 04 August 2011, 23:16
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

You stand a reasonable chance considering it is probably Easyjet's first flight of the day (from Rome) and hopefully they will run to schedule.

Athens airport is very easy to negotiate so if you follow BLL's advice about checking in online and printing your boarding pass in advance hopefully you will make it on time.

Personally though, for peace of mind, I would book the later flight (and spend the day in Athens). My experience with Easyjet has been very hit and miss in respect to them keeping to their schedule.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

Hey and welcome Timgator:-) Well, you're coming the distance! IMO, no way would I chance this with barely a 50 min time spread..but that's me! Even if your flight into Athens from Rome arrives on time..by the time you taxi to gate/de-plane, the gate for your connecting flight may easily be closing..or closed! Way too tight..any delay coming in..even a miniscule one, practically guarantees a miss..why chance it?;-) Book a later flight..you won't be stressed out in Rome in case of any delays there..even with none..that 'if' will certainly be floating around your head;-) You'll certainly make sunset..just book a later flight..give yourselves at least a 90 min spread to cover..and EnjoY!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

Hi Timgator,

Sorry, I misread your post, assuming the layover was at FCO. You've had some great advice from both brotherleelove and Litsa. Since FCO-ATH is an inter-Schengen flight, you won't have to go through passport control. With luggage checked straight through and pre-printed boarding pass in in hand, it is only a matter of walking from one gate to another, and Athens Airport is small and efficient.

Still, you are counting on no delays in order to make the Santorini flight. If you are willing to take the risk, chances are you will make it, and easyJet has a good record for timeliness. That said, rather than worry about the connection I would go along with Litsa's advice and book the later flight. Take the metro into central Athens and you can walk around Plaka, have a nice lunch with an Acropolis view, and save the Santorini sunset for next day. :o)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

..since you don't mention 'when' in Oct, you may want to also check www.olympicair.com/ There is usually an afternoon flight that would get you there earlier..either way, you'll have dinner in Santorini..enjoyin'!

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

Thanks for all the helpful advice! I'm definitely a risk-taker and wouldn't even have to think twice about going with our current flight schedule, but my fiance is quite the opposite. Also, we're staying at the Endless Blue at Aspaki Hotel in Oia, so I would hate to miss out on half a day spent there, and miss a sunset by just a few minutes. I'm not sure what to do just yet, but changing our flight to an afternoon flight on Olympic will raise our travel costs by at least $200.

Another factor to consider... If we do decide to take an evening flight to Santorini and spend a few hours in Athens, will we have to again go through customs? I know we'll have to go through security again, as well. How early would we need to arrive back at the airport to get through security and catch our flight? More than 1 hour?

I sincerely appreciate all responses!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

..now I really feel your pain;-) Have stayed at Endless Blue and admit, it certainly is worth the risk..lol;-) Bottom line, if you choose not to risk it, you'll just need to go through regular security check..no customs..and w/boarding pass in hand, an hour will certainly cover;-) Keep us posted..keep enjoyin'!

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Speaking of flight connection times...

Litsa, you and BLL sold me on Endless Blue and I can't wait to go!