We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions

Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions

Hi again .. I just love you guys!

Staying in Parissa, thinking of taking local bus(es) up to Oia for dinner one night. Our thoughts: catch a bus late afternoon, 4:00ish, take it to Oia for dinner and then take it back to Parissa.

Is that doable? How frequent, how long, how often how much? Do they do "transferes"?

We're also renting a car for one or two of the days to do the round the island thing. Can that be done in one long day?

Also, we're taking the over night ferry Santorini to Pireas on the 12th Sept. back to Athens.

Do the inn keepers have a policy to help with hanging out in the hotels late afternoons and early evenings. They often provide transportation to/fro docks as a perk, but when you check out in the morning how do you get that ride to docks. This must be a semi-common problem, how do they solve it. As always........ Thanx so much, Bob

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions

To get to Oia, you change buses at the bus station in Fira.

If you search in the Santorini forum for "schedule" you'll find links to a bus schedule

<<Do the inn keepers have a policy>>

That's a very quaint term :-) I'd expect to see a coach and horses outside an inn!

It all depends on the hotel, many would let you leave your luggage, some wont mind you hanging round the pool but if you are going back really late, why not either buy an extra night, or see if you can get a "day room" rate. The hotel owners are all individuals so every place will be different. Certainly not all will give you a free ride, and for those that do, not all will do it early hours of the morning.

Yes you can get round the island in a day, I'd recommend two so you are less rushed and can feel free to stop at that interesting lookout or taverna without worrying about getting back in time and squeezing everything in.

Finally, when you say "This must be a semi-common problem" its not a problem for the hotel owners, and I think most people would simply arrange a taxi !

Edited: 19 August 2011, 17:47
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions

The most current bus schedule will be posted in each village's main stop and at the main bus station in Fira. You can also see schedules and bus fares here: http://www.ktel-santorini.gr

There are no transfers issued.

Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions

Thanx Brother ..... it looks like this will work out well.

Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions

Well said Joe ... I love your reply. This also looks like it should work out fine!

Especially with the bus schedule posted by "Brother"

Thanx again!

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions

Great question and answers.

Hubby and I will be in Santorini for 3 nights in September. I'm sure I'll want to see the sunset every night. So....is it recommended to go to Oia for it or is it just as lovely in Fira where we're staying.

If we drive to Oia, is parking an issue? Should we take a local bus? Or walk on the path (or will that kill us)? We're 55 and 61.

In mid to late Sept, is it necessary to make a reservation for a restaurant in Oia for sunset watching?

Thanks for any info. We want to get the most out of our short stay.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,120 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions

You can get an idea of the Fira sunset in this album:

http://tinyurl.com/depuvh

In my opinion just as stunning as Oia.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of questions

Agreed, or Imerovigli, and you can see it in either without a zillion people jostling for elbow room.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of questions

Thank you. Sunset sure does look stunning from Fira.

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of questions

Staying in Imerovigli now, and trust me, the Oia sunset is very overrated compared to all the other caldera view towns without the crowds of Oia. We've watched sunsets from Firostefani and Imerovigli and like them more due to the peacefulness of these towns.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of questions

and Firostefani as well - much, much easier to find a viewing position than Oia.