We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report for My Honeymoon

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report for My Honeymoon

First, wanted to thank all the contributors for helping me plan my honeymoon! Especially BLL and Litza!

We arrived At Athens airport from JFK and immediately, the ATM machine ate my Charles Schwab ATM card. I didn't find the airport as easy to navigate as others as I got different answers from different people (go to line 14, go to line 16, etc). Then Olympic Airlines for my Santorini leg decided to charge me 10 Euros for extra luggage, which apparently is a separate line. Ironically, Delta and Aegean Airlines did not.

Anyway, I stayed 7 nights in Santorini at Anastasis Apartments in Imerovigli. I left a separate review for this amazing hotel, but it made the honeymoon! We didn't care so much for Oia, as it was very touristy, pricey, crowded and found the sunset from Firostefani and our hotel just as good. We really did pick a great part of the island to stay on, but I suggest if you do stay here, rent a car so you have options.

Some of the things we did:

1) Walked to Fira from our hotel. We loved this walk, very unique as you get great views, interesting hotels and shops along the way. We did this walk twice, once doing it round trip. Took a bus back the other time.

2) Hike from our hotel to Oia. This was not an easy hike, and we had to stop halfway through because my wife became ill(she doesn't like heights or feeling trapped). Don't get me wrong, any average hiker can accomplish this, but it's still a hike long uneven paths and cliffs. A lot of bees too!

3) Went to the beach at Perivolos beach. Our hotel said this beach had calmer waters and was less touristy than Kamari and Perissa, and we really enjoyed it. The sand wasn't too hot because I guess it wasn't as hot that day. We ate at a nice place called Pleasures.

4) Restaurants - Our favorites were probably Argo in Fira, Vanillia in Firostefani, Ill Cantucci in Firostefani. We hated Nectar and Ambrosia in Oia as the food wasn't that good. The food at our hotel was great as well

5) Ammoudi Bay - Great idea to go down there and have lunch. We chose Dimitri's which was by far the best fish we had all holiday!

6) Drive to Lighthouse in Akotori - Fun drive, nice sights.

7) We did the private wine tour with Valios. It was fun, although my wife and I didn't care for Santorini wines much as they tend to be dryer and bitter compared to the sweeter white wines we liked. We still enjoyed the lessons and the cultures of these wineries.

I should note, driving on the island can get hectic at times. I am a New Yorker and have driven a lot in NYC, and I considered some of these roads challenging due to being narrow, curvy, and parking can become an issue in some spots such as Oia during busy times. I didn't feel comfortable driving at night to other parts of the island from my hotel. I got lost a few times, but it's not hard to correct your mistakes as there aren't many roads. I think having a GPS at home has ruined my map reading abilities as well :)

We went off to Mykonos for 2 nights, which we hated(not great beauty or romance), I think Santorini just ruined it for us :) One night in Athens for the sightseeing, and then due Hurricane Irene, 4 nights in Paris because we couldn't get a flight back to NY. Not a bad way to end our honeymoon!

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

Glad you had a great time. I'm surprised at your review of Nectar & Ambrosia. That was the best meal we had on the island. I can't imagine having bad food there. Oh well, sounds like the rest of the trip was awesome. Congratulations on your new marriage.

California
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

Enjoyed reading your TR! We stayed at Anastasis Apts. last Oct. and loved it!! Had a great fish dinner at Dimitri's also. Sounds like you had the perfect honeymoon. Thank you for sharing.

We had a great meal at Nectar and Ambrosia also.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 23:28
New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

Thanks, we might have ordered the wrong things there. She had a chicken dish which was bland, and I had a lamb dish which was bland!

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

We also loved our meal at N & A.

Glad you had a great time. Congratulations on your marriage!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

glad you had a blast...extra nights in Paris too?..total bonus! I too had a great meal there too..must have been the Chefs' night off : ).

perfect honeymoon,

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,409 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

Lovely report and glad you had a great honeymoon :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

Enjoyed your report, especially when the only actual major issue, Irene, ended up with you stuck in Paris ! Nice :-)

I agree about the sunset in Oia, I dont understand the hype, yes its nice but no better than many others I've seen all over the world, and IMO better watched from a distance so you don't have to be bothered with the crowds or the fight for the buses back.

We also ate at Dimitris once, very much enjoyed the fish, glad to hear its still good quite a few years later. Same for Anastasis, its one of the two or three best hotels I've ever been to, worldwide. Pity about the two restaurants where you didn't especially like the food as they are the most expensive, seems you were unlucky as they do generally get good write-ups.

Out of interest and for the benefit of future travellers, did you ever find out from your bank why your card was eaten by the ATM?

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

And, did you get the card back?

It's always a worry of mine when using the ATMs on Santorini, particularly if it's not physically attached to a Bank building. I can just imagine my card being eaten by one of the machines outside a supermarket, going in to report it and getting a shoulder shrug from the people inside saying that it's nothing to do with them and I'll have to wait for several days before someone from Fira (or Athens) comes down to refill the machine.

Nice report too - good to hear you had such a good time after all the planning that went into it. Interesting that your worst dinners were in the most expensive restaurants on the island. It just goes to show that ridiculous prices and hype are no guarantee of quality.

Just watch your back for your dissing of Oia, you'll have the Oia-mafia after you for life now :-))

Martin

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

Lovely report, congratulations on your wedding and thanks for making me even more anxious for our stay at Anastasis later this month.

Roughing it in Paris.......you poor babies! :)

Jo

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report for My Honeymoon

Just so no one else is confused .... Nectar & Ambrosia is the name of one restaurant. There is also another called Ambrosia and it's pricey, but N&A (which I could almost swear that in prior years was called Ambrosia & Nectar -- how's that for confusing!) is not terribly high priced.