First, wanted to thank all the contributors for helping me plan my honeymoon! Especially BLL and Litza!
We arrived At Athens airport from JFK and immediately, the ATM machine ate my Charles Schwab ATM card. I didn't find the airport as easy to navigate as others as I got different answers from different people (go to line 14, go to line 16, etc). Then Olympic Airlines for my Santorini leg decided to charge me 10 Euros for extra luggage, which apparently is a separate line. Ironically, Delta and Aegean Airlines did not.
Anyway, I stayed 7 nights in Santorini at Anastasis Apartments in Imerovigli. I left a separate review for this amazing hotel, but it made the honeymoon! We didn't care so much for Oia, as it was very touristy, pricey, crowded and found the sunset from Firostefani and our hotel just as good. We really did pick a great part of the island to stay on, but I suggest if you do stay here, rent a car so you have options.
Some of the things we did:
1) Walked to Fira from our hotel. We loved this walk, very unique as you get great views, interesting hotels and shops along the way. We did this walk twice, once doing it round trip. Took a bus back the other time.
2) Hike from our hotel to Oia. This was not an easy hike, and we had to stop halfway through because my wife became ill(she doesn't like heights or feeling trapped). Don't get me wrong, any average hiker can accomplish this, but it's still a hike long uneven paths and cliffs. A lot of bees too!
3) Went to the beach at Perivolos beach. Our hotel said this beach had calmer waters and was less touristy than Kamari and Perissa, and we really enjoyed it. The sand wasn't too hot because I guess it wasn't as hot that day. We ate at a nice place called Pleasures.
4) Restaurants - Our favorites were probably Argo in Fira, Vanillia in Firostefani, Ill Cantucci in Firostefani. We hated Nectar and Ambrosia in Oia as the food wasn't that good. The food at our hotel was great as well
5) Ammoudi Bay - Great idea to go down there and have lunch. We chose Dimitri's which was by far the best fish we had all holiday!
6) Drive to Lighthouse in Akotori - Fun drive, nice sights.
7) We did the private wine tour with Valios. It was fun, although my wife and I didn't care for Santorini wines much as they tend to be dryer and bitter compared to the sweeter white wines we liked. We still enjoyed the lessons and the cultures of these wineries.
I should note, driving on the island can get hectic at times. I am a New Yorker and have driven a lot in NYC, and I considered some of these roads challenging due to being narrow, curvy, and parking can become an issue in some spots such as Oia during busy times. I didn't feel comfortable driving at night to other parts of the island from my hotel. I got lost a few times, but it's not hard to correct your mistakes as there aren't many roads. I think having a GPS at home has ruined my map reading abilities as well :)
We went off to Mykonos for 2 nights, which we hated(not great beauty or romance), I think Santorini just ruined it for us :) One night in Athens for the sightseeing, and then due Hurricane Irene, 4 nights in Paris because we couldn't get a flight back to NY. Not a bad way to end our honeymoon!