We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Santorini?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Santorini?

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out what part of Santorini to stay in. I will be travelling there with 3 girlfriends next year and have no idea where to book! We are young and would like to be near the beach in a location amoungst the action.

If you could recommend what part of Santorini to stay in and possibly good hotel experiences there that would be fantastic!

Thank you, Jemma

Level Contributor
930 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

Perissa and kamari are the beach resorts on santorini ! Thira doesn't have a beach as such but its a fantastic town with lots to do , buses or taxis to thira from the beach resorts are doable

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,215 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

Wrong island for 'action' that would be on Ios, it's on the way from Mykonos to Santorini. If you ever reach Santorini then Perissa is traditionally the younger backpackers resort. Followed by Kamari Beach. Both are rather similar, have crummy black sand and shingle beaches so don't rush to get there...

Other islands you might consider also on the way are Paros and Naxos.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

Thanks so much. We would like to see Santorini as people have told us it is pretty so we will probably spend one night there.

Where would you recommend staying in Ios? Or what part of Ios?

Thanks again.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

I disagree about Santorini not offering 'action'. If you plan to be there between May and September you will not feel like you're missing out on anything. Santorini is very busy then, especially in July and August, and whether you stay at the beach or in Fira you won't be disappointed. There are lots of lively bars at the beach and Fira has bars and dance clubs to choose from. And as long as the weather is warm the main beaches, Kamari and Perissa, will be full of young people during the day.

That said, going to any island for just one day is not the best use of your holiday time. Regardless of where you end up, it takes a minimum of 3-4 days to really get into the rhythm of an island.

Edited: 11 November 2011, 04:25
Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

Staying for one day on Santorini is also very much depenedant on where from and how you are arriving as if relying on ferry schedules then you have to appreciate timetables sometimes dictate you will not arrive until late afternoon so already eating in to your much limited time on the island.

Seymour, Connecticut
Level Contributor
82 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

We stayed at Apanemo hotel for our honeymoon this past summer. It's not in the a main town, but that's why we stayed there. It was private and beautiful. Check out my review of it and feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Level Contributor
126 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

I recommend to stay in fira if you want to be close to nightlife. There are plenty of cheap food options in the main street our favorite being o'gyro hole in the wall place selling killer gyros. You can rent quads and go to Kamari black beach one day. The beach is nothing special comparing to Mykonos beaches.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
679 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

Hi Jemma,

You are receiving very sound advice from the various posters.

It looks to me like you need to do a bit more homework.

Santorini is really beautiful, however, people don't go there for the beaches (Santorini's population it is essentially cliff top - with a few exceptions as described above).

If you are looking for beaches and nightlife there are many other island options (Paros as suggested above is a good option - but don't expect beaches like we have in Oz).

Also, for one day/night by the time you get there it will be time to leave, irrespective whether you are flying or ferrying.

Get hold of some travel books, Lonely Planet/Eyewitness etc, etc, and do some research so that you won't be disappointed and/or wasting valuable travel time.

Safe Travels!

Edited: 18 November 2011, 03:26
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

Look up some of the You Tube videos of Santorini, some are very good and can give you a good over view of the Island. I myself like the Kamari strip and beach, has lots too offer. The prices are very fair and you can always explore Fira at night, if you want.

Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Santorini?

I stayed in Kamari for a girls holiday and it was fab. Plenty of nightlife, decent restaurants and, I think a lovely beach.

When you get there I think you will realise that one day/night will def not be enough. The island is small and easy to get around, we spent evenings in Fira (great bar called Francos to watch the sunset and fantastic cocktails!) It really had everything we wanted and had the best time. There is also a great bar called the Albatross Bar in Kamari where we spent many an evening!

Have fun!