We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choose between Oia & Fira

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Choose between Oia & Fira

We are 2 x 50yo couples (one with a brummy knee) travelling to Santorini early June for 3 nights. After reading many reviews I was leaning towards Oia, but now am not sure what the difference is to Fira (some good reviews on accommodation in Fira). Firstly if someone could enlighten me on one over the other, then I can look more closely at accommodation.

We will be treating our time on Santorini as a bit of down time after some 3 weeks travelling through France & Italy. Budget is about 100 euro (per couple) or sharing 2 bedroom equivalent. View of Caldera, not toooo many steps, private terrace. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I seem to be going round in circles.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choose between Oia & Fira

Have a read thru BrortherLee,s forum posts and you will quickly find the answers to all your questions many times over....

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choose between Oia & Fira

Fira is the island's social/commercial center. "All Roads Lead To Fira". The island's bus hub is there. There are more hotels, bars, discos, shops, restaurants and galleries in Fira than anywhere else on the island. Auto/Bus Traffic is very heavy there. The cruise ships all debark their passengers there so it gets VERY crowded. If you like the hustle and bustle of activity Fira is the place to be. You won't find any rooms with a view and few steps in Fira for €100 per. The Scirocco Hotel is €98 but there are a lot of steps, although I don't know how many. It's one of the challenges of staying in a hotel with a caldera view.

Oia is the most beautiful and intact village. The nightlife is limited to cafes and a few mellow bars. There is an excellent selection of shops, galleries, hotels and restaurants there. By bus it's 20 minutes north of Fira. At times during the day it gets crowded with cruise ship passengers coming by the excursion busload, and with island visitors lining up in the evening to watch the sunset, but it still has an air of timelessness not found in Fira. "Old Oia Houses" offers a couple of properties with no steps. Contact them and specify "no steps near the clock tower". Lena's House has 2-bedroom units with just a few steps. Also check Strogili Houses.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,354 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choose between Oia & Fira

Here is to give you an idea of the villages:

Fira

http://tinyurl.com/depuvh

Oia

http://tinyurl.com/cq6dtp

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choose between Oia & Fira

Thank you for all your responses. I think Oia might be more to our vintage - nice restaurant and a quiet drink is our "night life". I have made contact with Old Oia Houses, so hopefully that will tick that box for our trip - now to flights in and out. GBLyn

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choose between Oia & Fira

Oia will get quiet but only after sunset. There will be a ton of people to watch the sunset. Hard to take a photo without a crowd in it. If you want great photos, better take them in the morning.

6. Re: Choose between Oia & Fira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2012, 10:23