We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic

i am about to book santorini for june of this year but im afraid prices for food and drink etc are going to go through the roof due to the ongoing crisis in greece..does anyone know if this is the case.?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

Hello Tim and welcome in TA and Greece forum :)

Why should they go through the roof?

They could probably go through the floor, but definitely not through the roof. This is a hard time for Greeks, competition is intense, so you may find some prices dropping instead of rising.

From the start of the whole thing, around 2009, some prices have raised and some have dropped.

Gas has spiked hugely, we probably have the most expensive gas in the Eurozone now. Alchohol prices have raised also when it comes to imported drinks like vodka, whiskey etc.

Resturants are lower, drinks sometiems are lower too ( happy hour etc ), hotels are lower too.

The only considerable and painful difference is the gas price, at 1.75 euros per liter ( . Other than that, i 'd say prices are better. From what i see, gas price in Ireland is a bit similar around 1.55 so it won't be a substantial difference.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 13:12
Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

Book it and dont worry about it. Prices will still be far far lower than in Ireland. We are going to Greece again this year for the 20th time - I wouldnt even consider not going again this year.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

I don't know about 2012, but when I went in 2011, I found that pricers were pretty much the same as the previous year, or, in some cases, actually lower.

As in the UK, and presumably in Eire, businesses are well aware that people are feeling the pinch and are having to work hard to prise every cent out of people's pockets. This is the same in Greece, tourism is just about the only industry that makes any money and the Greeks know that they'll have a fight on their hands for custom in 2012 so it's not in their interests to be raising prices.

I certainly wouldn't let this affect my holiday, I'll just be canny and shop around for the best deals when I get there.

Martin

CRETE
Level Contributor
301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

NO WAY.

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

thanks for all your replies.much appreciated..going to book now!

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

The way things are at the moment with the euro - prices are between 10 - 15% cheaper than last year !!

When the euro was introduced the rate to the USD was 0.85 and slowly climbed up to 1.50

Now it's at 1.29 so that's much better than the last few years !

take care

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
806 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

if anythink what i can see most buisnesses have dropped there prices rooms food drinks accomadation etc so as a tourist your be better off , how fantastics that !! :>) oioi

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

maybe it depends on where you are

i have not noticed tavernas and drinks getting cheaper, prices are the same at best from my experience. but still you can usually find something for every budget

rooms and hotels are cheaper for sure as i have asked friends who own hotels. they are having to cut their rates as the luxury hotels have reduced their rates, so have to reduce accordingly.

9. Re: are prices going to go crazy with the greek debt problems.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:34