We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving

Just kicking around something new to do for this yrs trip. I was thinking of taking the on line PADA course here in the US and then doing the certiacation dives in Santorini, I assume this can be done??? Anyway I saw a few bad reviews for the nearby Navy dive center, I also noticed that they really pack there boat, seemed loaded to the max to put it lightly! I also saw a comment about a dive center, didn't say which one but here's the comment, "There is one diving center in Akrotiri." anyone know the name? They also said that they offer the best dives? Got me on that, I've no clue about diving in Santorini, only did two ocean dives, trainning dives of under 30'. Anyway any help would be apprciated!

Santorini
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving

Hi INXS2,

As far as i know you can do the on line course and then do the certification dives on Santorini. The diving center in Akrotiri is called Santorini Dive Center. Yet if you ask me they do not do the best dives. The best dive center on the island is Aegean Divers. I dived with them and they were excellent - the reviews on TA will help you get an idea - very professional and friendly. They do boat dives only when Santorini dive center does dives from the coast as well.

Anyway have a look at their web site (http://www.aegeandivers.com/), and contact Kostas the manager (sales@aegeandivers.com) for details on the certification dives.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
167 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving

My hubby is looking to dive in Santorini as well. We will be there April 28-May 2 so if you are going after that I can share our experience. My friend who has been to Santorini before drove around and talked to a couple of dive shops and decided next time he was there he would dive with Navys Waterworld...again no experience with them...only recommended by talking with them. I do not know first hand but will soon! Their website is http://www.navyswaterworld.gr/.

I also searched the forum boards on scubaboard.com and came across these two posts that I saved. If you find out any additional info or are there before me, I'd love it!

Post: The diving in the caldera is actually quite good with lots of wall dives but the volcano itself is not the best diving due to the bare volcanic rock and sulphur from the hot springs. The hot springs are the only spots where the water is warmer. The highlight is a caves area amid a 3,000 year old lava flow on the south coast, very dramatic scenery. Other good sites include the wall dives of Adiavatous reef (said by one german magazine to be the best dive in the mediterranean) and white island, wall dives in the caldera.

Post: I just came back from a holiday in Santorini also and I had some very pleasant dives. The visibility is great and there are some pretty nice spots with small caves. I would highly recommend Navy's dive center in Kamari beach, they were very professional and very friendly staff. I first went diving with Aegean Divers where I had an unpleasant dive experience as they were extremely disorganized, unprofessional and unfriendly. I was also given equipment which clearly had not been services in a while. So I would avoid that dive center. There is also another dive center called Volcano which I heard have been located in santorini for over 15 years and are very professional. They are also located on kamari beach.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving

Thanks folks, I've got another option, a friend a friend from the island who's a master diver that offered to tkae me diving. As with all the locals I know they will gladly help you in any way they can, I always keep in mind that the summer is their bread and butter time of yr so I often take a pass, I'll just have to see how everything looks. One of the things a try to point out in my posts is that tourists should take an interest in local Greek culture. I've learned a lot from my Greek, and European, friends over the last five yrs, I just wish that Americans would be as thoughtful and respectful as they are.

4. Re: Scuba Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:15