We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

Qld
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

Hi all

I'll be travelling alone to Santorini in June & would love to see sunset in Oia from the fortress (surprise surprise).

Just wondering if many people make the walk back to Fira afterwards?? (given that sunset will be around 8.30pm according to timeanddate.com & the walk takes about 2hours)

Is there any lighting on the path? Is the path even or pebbly etc?

Or should I just catch a cab? How much should this cost?

THanks!!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

There are no lights and there some treacherous very narrow stretches on that path. Definitely not something that want to navigate in the dark. Take a cab or bus instead.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

Really, it's a dangerously bad idea.

In June the sun sets at 8:45 or later, and the hike takes about 3 hours in daylight. Because of the lack of illumination at night you can expect it to take longer. Don't expect to reach Fira before 1am.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

Don't do it!!! Too risky. Not sure about the availaibility of busses, but if you are desperate to walk, do it along the main road. Otherwise taxi.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

Only recommended in case you like to have a leg in plaster - or two .... ;-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

I'm sure you its very possible to trip, hows hows your dalance and is it a full moon? I like doing risky stuff, swam Kamari to Preissa with only having swam twice that summer for a total of say 20 mins., BTW, its very dangerious and locals, I here, have died trying it, currents can pop up if the wind kicks up, oh and no I didn't use flippers. Anyway why not try walking some of the area at night before trying the big hike?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

The main point in walking that path is to admire the scenery as it is very scenic route. How much scenery will you able to see there at night? Even with a full moon and a powerful torch?

Qld
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

Thanks! Yes, I thought of the traffic just as I hit sent.

I've also noticed that they've updated the bus timetable too so the last bus is now at 8.30pm instead of 6.20pm which was the last bus when I originally posted!

Thanks for the info!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

It's a long walk during the day and I can't imagine it being safe at night.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 07:50
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

You can just take the local bus back to Fira!!!! Dont worry!

10. Re: Walking from Oia to Fira after sunset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:16