We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations for small children

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
288 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations for small children

Hi - we will be staying in Oia with our 6 year old son. He is the pickiest eater on earth. Try as we might, he's not interested in much outside of grilled cheese sandwiches, cheese pizza, strawberries, hamburgers and French fries. Luckily for us he loves water so we're OK there.

How are the menus at most of the restaurants when it comes to options for children? Excuse my ignorance here, but if we go to a traditional Greek restaurant is there something similar to any of the items I've listed that he could eat? Also, and yes, this sounds ridiculous, but can we get ketchup there? Or should I bring my own (so embarassed that I even have to ask this)?

We will have a kitchen so making our own meals is something we anticipated, but it would be nice not to have to do this every night.

Thank you for your help!

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations for small children

I'm sure that you won't have any problems. The Greeks are very good with children and they are made welcome in most restaurants. They will usually go out of their way to make sure that they can provide something that your son will eat. They will almost certainly be able to produce ketchup, but it is unlikely to be your usual brand, if your son is picky about that. I'm sure that you will have a great holiday and will be pleasantly surprised by how much effort the Greek staff will put into meeting your son's needs.

Bob

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations for small children

Actually, some supermarkets do carry some imported products such as French's mustard and Heinz Ketchup. The best place to buy fruit is at the little produce market across from the Anemomilos Hotel, and the large supermarket on the main road across from the Oia bus square has a good selection as well. You can also buy some sort of "American" cheese slices and Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese out of their cold case, and plain white bread for grilled cheese sammies. Sometimes even Campbell's soups. Peanut butter and jelly too.

You can go to Pizza Edwin in Oia and get your son a cheese pizza. All the restaurants sell french fries, calling them fried potatoes and/or "frites". Not sure about burgers. See if you can get him to try a gyro. You can have them assemble a simple one for him with just the things he likes. There are a couple of souvlaki places in Oia. If he likes chicken have him try chicken souvlaki "on a stick"

Firostefani, Greece
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations for small children

While some restaurants may not have hamburgers, they will usually have "bifteki" which is the burger without the bun. That is what we normally order for my nephew when he is here as his "menu" is similar to your sons.

Also, you will find in cafes they will usually have "toast" which is a grilled cheese and ham sandwich so you can order with just cheese.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations for small children

Right, I forgot about bifteki. I'm a vegetarian!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations for small children

Thank you all so much - this is exactly what I was hoping for. One less thing to stress about. Especially the ketchup part. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to pack a bottle of red goop in a suitcase full of white clothing!

BLL, we rented a villa in the same vicinity as the Kastro restaurant. Is the supermarket you mentioned a walkable distance if you have several bags? We're not renting a car.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations for small children

It's about 10 minutes' walk from the Kastro Restaurant if you don't stop to gawk! Which villa?

7. Re: Restaurant recommendations for small children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:42