We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini at end of December

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini at end of December

Hi,

Would it be advisable to visit Santorini in December? I will be in Athens during the Christmas holidays. Would like to take the ferry but most likely would fly as I read in a guide book that it is a 45 minute flight only. Restaurants all opened?

What would the weather be like at that time of year? Last year I was in Portugal at Christmas time and I was tracking the weather in Athens and it was fairly mild, similar to Portugal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini at end of December

I haven't been there at that time of year, but when I last visited Santorini (in July) the hotel owners did mention that the islands are very quiet in winter, as it is very windy on the islands and colder.

So not sure if it would be worth it at that time of year :S...

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,089 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini at end of December

Santorini is primarily a tourist island and tends to shut down in the winter, leaving only a few thousand inhabitants.

There are some hotels, mainly in Fira, the main town, that are open all year round and also some restaurants and bars serving the local population, but the rest of the island, with a very few exceptions, will be hunkered down for the winter.

From what I've read on this forum, I'd expect the weather to be cold, windy and a possibility of rain.

Having said that, you'd obviously get a very different experience from visiting in the summer months, and whatever the weather etc, the fabulous caldera views are still going to be available.

There have been several topics on this subject in the past, with links to sites that give details of year round hotels - have a look around or use the search functions at the top of the page, I'm sure you'd be able to find something.

Martin

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini at end of December

Living on Santorin Island since many years I wouldn't recommend anybody seriously to visit the island in December (especially if it is for the first time). Except that almost everything is closed (and if not, then "under construction") the weather can be depressing.This year the whole wintertime was chilly, windy, rainy etc. only a few days were sunny and not so cold.

The weather conditions have changed also in Santorini during the last years -and I feel e.g.very sorry for the tourists who are here right now to celebrate easter as it is stormy and raining since yesterday ;-(

4. Re: Santorini at end of December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:17