We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Folegandros

Lugano
3 posts
Save Topic
Folegandros

A friend of my husband and myself, when she knew we were going to Santorini, highly recommended to also go to Folegandros. How is Folegandros?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Folegandros

See Xaroula's wonderful descriptions and advice at the top of the Folegandros forum.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
921 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Folegandros

Folegandros main town of chora is simply beautiful,it's beaches however are generally remote with little or no facilities so it does depend what you are looking for out of Folegandros. Personally it is my favourite and agree it is a good choice to combine with Santorini.

I would say however the ferry schedules this year in my opinion are rather unkind as most arrivals into Folegandros are early evening which is restrictive if only wishing to visit for a few days.

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
806 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Folegandros

folegandros is so special just like ios smaller real greek islands without the commercial side , still holding on to the old greek feeling ....oioi gives thumbs up

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Folegandros

Its fantastic. Pretty and untouchable. I would reccomend going between June 15 - September 15

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Folegandros

Does anyone know if there's a ferry schedule out for September 2012 yet? I would like to leave from Piraeus in the afternoon

Edited: 20 June 2012, 10:51
Clapham
Level Contributor
4 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Folegandros

I guess it depends what you are looking for but June 15 to September 15 is exactly the time I would avoid - but each to their own. Folegandros is a magical place when the crowds (never huge) have thinned. The late Spring is glorious and late September still has beautiful days

Folegandros, Greece
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Folegandros

We first went to Folegandros 18 years ago, intending to stay for 3 days. The warmth of the people and the rugged beauty of this tiny island enchanted us and we stayed for 3 weeks. We kept returning and finally

managed to buy an old farmhouse in the village of Ano Meria. Now we are retired we spend half the year there.

Over the years the island has been developed to accommodate tourists and has some excellent hotels, such as Anemomilos, Themonies and Castro Hotel. There are also many rooms available that are spotlessly clean and reasonably priced. The main village, Hora, is probably the prettiest village in the Cyclades. It has many tavernas that serve authentic Greek food at very reasonable prices.

There are good beaches at Angali, which can be reached by bus, Livadi, Katergo and Agios Georgios, but don't expect to find loungers and sunshades for hire!

July and August can be very busy, but May, June and September are beautiful. Although it can be quite hot, in the summer there is a cooling north wind called Meltemi, which keeps you cool.

The people are incredibly friendly, welcoming and helpful.

If you are interested in the culture of the island, visit it during Orthodox Easter, which, after the solemn ceremony of Good Friday, becomes a 4 day party when all the islanders open their homes to receive the icon into their houses and try to outdo each other with their hospitality. The icon is followed in procession to the sound of fireworks, gunfire and dynamite!

The views are stunning and there are many quite challenging walks if that's your thing.

I have only one caveat; you may well become addicted to this magical island and want ever more and longer visits to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay - I certainly did!

8. Re: Folegandros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 05:17