We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Reservation Question

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
299 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Reservation Question

Hi

After reading the FAQS page it appears we only have to book ferry tickets soon if we are interested in the high speed boats ?

We are travelling in July to;

Rhodes-Santorini.

Santorini-Ios.

Ios- Naxos.

Naxos- Mykonos.

Mykonos - Pireaus.

We are happy to travel by slow boat so to speak and would rather buy our tickets from a travel agent once we get to Rhodes rather than book online and still have to pick them up at each port

The Naxos to Mykonos appears to me to be serviced by high speed boats only though so I'm guessing it would be advisable to book that one asap? Also the Mykonos to Pireaus route would be an advisable one to book too?

I also noticed on the faqs page it said actual slow boat departures may only be advertised a few weeks in advance. Does that mean a slow boat may appear on the Naxos- Mykonos route at a later date ?

Unfortunantly to get some of the hotels at the top of trip advisor ratings in 2 star range in peak season you have to commit to a booking rather than be flexible and just island hop. So we need to be on certain vessels at a specific time.

Many Thanks Again

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,811 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Reservation Question

The FAQ is substantially wrong, much too generalised. Unsurprising considering the overall complexity of the ferry system.

Early july is mid-season and late July is approaching hi-season so you have to bear that in mind as regards bookings. Future predictions are guesswork not certainties.

None of your ferry links need to be hi-speed and most you'll get there earlier and cheaper on a slow ferry, ironic I know, but true.

Rhodes > Santorini, no hi=speed ferries, Bluestar ferries every 2 days.

Santorini > Ios, 5 ferries per day no point in hi-speed it's only a short distance.

Ios > Naxos, 3 ferries per day, again no point in hi-speed.

Naxos > Mykonos, 2-3 ferries per day, probably have to be a hi-speed catamaran, depends on day.

Bear in mind from Mykonos you can go to Rafina port which is closer to Athens airport.

The vast majority of ferries are now known for July.

Hotels ratings in popular tourist Greek Islands are manipulated to such an extent that no one believes them anymore (post deleted...!!). It's a 'sport' particularly true of Mykonos and Santorini. Most accommodation in the Greek islands is small and may never even get a mention or a review. So take it all with a large pinch of salt.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Reservation Question

There will be slow ferries from Naxos to Mykonos in July - NEL Lines and Golden Star Ferries but their timetables may not yet be confirmed. For details and days of service check http://www.gtp.gr/

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Reservation Question

I would think that in July you won't need to book any tickets in advance. You should be OK just booking them a day or two in advance at each island.

The ferries that trend to be full are those leaving the Greek mainland in late July and the first two weeks of August, and those arriving on the Greek mainland in the last two weeks of August or early September.

It is not always the Highspeed ferries that fill up first. Over the last couple of years I've monitored the availablity of tickets on ferries from Piraeus to Paros and the big Blue Star Ferries fill up before the Highspeed ones.

You may not be able to buy all your tickets at an agency in Rhodes. Agencies only sell tickets for shipping lines that they are agents for and that is usually only the shipping lines that use the port where they are.

I would just book ferries a day or two in advance at each port. They will have the most up to date information and what is running and what is not. There is another advantage in booking a ticket at the port that you are leaving from: if a ferry is cancelled, it is a lot easier to get a refund as you have to get a refund from the agency that sold you the ticket.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Reservation Question

The Superferry (slow ferry) sails direct from Naxos to Mykonos on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday afternoons in the last week of June - the schedule for July has not yet been announced but last year it sailed on those days of the week throughout July and August so it is reasonable to assume that the same or something very similar will happen this year.

The Aqua Spirit (another slow ferry) sails on Mondays evenings by a less direct route.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Reservation Question

I hope that schedule for the Superferry continues into early September as last year, as I want to use it myself in preference to the Superjet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
299 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Reservation Question

Hi

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think we will just book as we go. That is exactly what we wanted to do, but wanted a little reassurance/advice.

Thanks Again

7. Re: Ferry Reservation Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:16