We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

Ross, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

We are planning a visit of two nights in late Oct 2012. Is this a bad time? I noticed high temps normal are 70 F. Will the island be deserted? Your help is appreciated.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

The weather at the end of October can be anything from beautiful Indian summer (with very warm sea) to cool windy days with occasional rain.

Most hotels and restaurants close down by the end of October. Kamari and Perissa will be almost deserted and you may feel a bit out of place in Oia. Fira can be an option.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 20:28
Mentioned in this post
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Greece
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

The issue you may have is with the weather.

To be honest its not the best time of the year.

General after 20 October the weather starts to chill..

Ross, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

Ok so we land in Athens for two nights. Best suggestions if not the islands, should I expore outside of Athens or head to Istanbul?

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
CRETE
Level Contributor
301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

Istanbul? Santorini has much better weather in comparison with Istanbul!

After 20 October the weather starts to chill in Santorini during the evenings but it is very pleasant during the day time.

As long as you are planning a visit of only two nights, I think you can stay in Fira that is definitely not deserted and go for a walk to Oia (that is also not deserted at the end of October)

As you are coming from Ohio to Greece I think that you should not miss Santorini.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

Due to the cruisboat-tourism Thira and Oia will not be deserted at all.

Some hotels and restaurants might be already closed in Oia, but it will be still busy enough until the end of the month. Regarding the weather, the chance is 50:50. It can be sunny but also windy and rainy - you never know .....

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Ross, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

We fly open jaw into 10/23 Athens and want to spend two days. We fly out of Istanbul 10/31. I would like 3 days in Istanbul. We are experienced travelers of 6 continents so we are very efficient with time. Yes OHIO is not not Santorini but I would rather comeback at another time, vs it being closed down. It will not be a beach thing, just views with local food and drink. So if FIRA is open for busines I believe worth a stop. I see there are no flights from Santorini to IST must backtrack and lose a couple of hours. Unless there is an obscure island air I have not found.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Greece
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

No direct flights. You must return back to Athens. Also i would reccomend you to travel & return by plane to Santorini, not by boat this time of the year.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
CRETE
Level Contributor
301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

Of course Fira and Oia will be open for business. At least 20 restaurant and bars will be open in Fira and 10 restaurants and taverns will be open Oia, all the winneries will be open for visit and -of course- the caldera views will be there.

You will be able to walk in the narrow pathways of Oia and Fira without the crowds of tourists that are there now and enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Ross, Ohio
Level Contributor
130 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

Thanks for all the advice. I read the reviews, how about your take on the nicest place to stay. Good views, balcony if possible, not concerned about$$.

She has put up with me for 25 years, I want to make it nice!

10. Re: Last week of Oct, Bad time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:42