We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes Make for Walking

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
785 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Shoes Make for Walking

For future reference, which are the best walking shoes for getting around Santorini but which are also not totally ugly ? I have been suffering ever since I returned 3 weeks ago with painful achilles tendons - tried ice packs, different heeled shoes, exercise, all to no avail. Stupid me for wearing flatties for most of the steep climbing but for next time would like to know what shoes work for people. I didn't have this problem with flats on my last 2 trips there but have suffered this last trip. Many thanks for any advice.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes Make for Walking

Unfortunately what works for one person will not necessarily work for another. A lot depends on what you normally wear. If you have been accustomed to wearing heels most of the time your Achilles tendons will have shortened. This will result in flat shoes being as painful for you as heels would be for someone like me who never wears anything but flat sandals, trainers or hiking boots. You may find trainers with a raised heel inner sole best for walking around places with uneven surfaces.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes Make for Walking

Another option is to do some walking before you take your vacation. I was in Tallinn Estonia last month and even with running before the trip my feet got sore. Next time I'll do my running in the hills, uneven trails are best as they prepare you for the cobberstone roads and the rocky trails and paths.

3. Re: Shoes Make for Walking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:47