We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Islands in Greece

Boston
8 posts
Save Topic
Best Islands in Greece

I have been in Greece only once and that I when I was 12 years old. I hardly remember anything.

I am certainly going to go to Santorini but I would like to pick 3 or 4 other isalnds.

I am traveling with my husband and 4 kids on the age of 9,12,13 and 14.

If anybody can help choose the best islands I will really appreciate it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Islands in Greece

I've heard that Milos, under two hrs by ferry is better then Santorini if you like beaches. Check their web site.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Islands in Greece

Give us some more info: how many days are you going to stay? what time of the year will you be travelling? what are your interests?

Boston
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Islands in Greece

INXS2:

Thanks I will research that island.

Foggy:

I love a nice combination of beeches, city life and culture. I do not want to be in a very remote place nor do I like places meant for tourist only.

I am spending about 1 month between Italy and Greece. I am planning to spend about 3 or 4 days in each of the islands that I decide to visit.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Islands in Greece

Try Kos. It's got Roman and Greek markets to explore, the Knights of St John, a harbour, and Hippocrates. You can do an easy day trip to Nissyros to see the volcano.

Beaches are good around Kos Town and you can hire bicycles, particularly if you stay on the Psaldi side where there's a wide cycle path all the way into Kos. Cycle out a bit to thermi, where the hot water spring come out into the sea.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Islands in Greece

We went to Greece with sons the age of your youngest and oldest, and had a marvelous trip. In addition to Santorini, we went to the larger island of Naxos which is a fast hydrofoil ride to Santorini. We flew to Naxos from Athens. Naxos is scenic, with nice beaches, and was not overbuilt when we were there almost 6 years ago. Quite laid back, not entirely overrun with tourists like Santorini. It has an interesting main town with a medieval center on top of the hill-- fun to explore. Many interesting drives and old villages scattered around the island. Our older son found a go-cart track that he fell in love with; faster, more serious gokarts than are available in the US. Gave me a few scary moments, but was the highlight of his trip. Nice beaches too-- though, being from California, the beaches were not the main draw for us. We spent 3 days in Naxos, and would have loved to stay longer.

I also recommend spending some time in the Pelloppenese. Really beautiful area. We stayed in Nauplio (this town has numerous spellings-- Nafplion, etc) which is a lovely 19th century town, and from there visited ancient Mycenae and Epidauros.

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
820 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Islands in Greece

if ya going to santorini then easy route would be santorini for the great views ,

ios for the best beaches in the greek islands and nightlife to suit all ages,

then naxos and paros

ending up in mykonos

ferrys are frequent to all these islands and the line on the same root