We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which location best in Santorini?

london, canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Which location best in Santorini?

My fiance and I will be spending our honeymoon in Santorini and Rhodes in June. We are having a hardtime narrowing down locations in Santorini: either Oia or Fira.

We are looking for a romantic setting, a nice hotel with a pool and rooms with private balconys and unobstucted amazing views (a necessity). We are willing to go up to $400/night maximum.

Various travel agents and people keep giving us different advice, and we are unsure whether or not to stay in Oia or Fira. If anybody has good advice on which town and which hotel it would be greatly appreciated.

Greece
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which location best in Santorini?

Fira in June is busy but not so much as in July. For me it sounds you want to be isolated in an area that sounds like Oia or Imerovigli. Fira is out of the question even though some Hotels are very nice. You can even try Akrotiri, on the south part towards the lighthouse. Have fun.

london, canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which location best in Santorini?

Thanks for the tip cmendrin.

The thing that was deterring us from Oia was that the (latest) travel agent we are talking to said that there is little to do in Oia and that after a few days we would get bored of it. He said the sunsets are just as good in Fira, and that that is where we are going to want to be most of the time.

However, after checking out some of the discussions in this forum, I am doubting the accuracy of his advice.

Is there enough to do in Oia for six nights to keep us busy? For example, some small shopping, restaurants, bars? We are looking for primarly a romantic quiet time, and then some occasional activities or night outings. Will Oia offer us that?

Thanks

london, canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which location best in Santorini?

Thanks for the tip cmendrin.

The thing that was deterring us from Oia was that the (latest) travel agent we are talking to said that there is little to do in Oia and that after a few days we would get bored of it. He said the sunsets are just as good in Fira, and that that is where we are going to want to be most of the time.

However, after checking out some of the discussions in this forum, I am doubting the accuracy of his advice.

Is there enough to do in Oia for six nights to keep us busy? For example, some small shopping, restaurants, bars? We are looking for primarly a romantic quiet time, and then some occasional activities or night outings. Will Oia offer us that?

Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which location best in Santorini?

Hi Ulbay,

We went to Oia for a week last year. It was absolutely gorgeous. If you want a romantic setting, it's ideal. A very atmospheric place. There are numerous apartments etc all with beautiful views (we stayed in the Fanari Villas - fabulous). Oia has a nice range of shops, restaurants and bars for the evenings - plenty for a few nights (but not a fortnight!). Fira is very easy to get to - you can pop there for an evening, and it takes about 10-15 minutes in a cab. Oia is more romantic. Have a look on 'AgeanThesaurus' website for loads of hotels and villas.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which location best in Santorini?

I was working in a hotel in Oia last summer and I stayed there for 5 months.

Oia is a very romantic place, sunset is absolutely gorgeous but I agree you will get bored very easily.

Fira is my favorite place in Santorini.

It is a bit noisy I must say but so many places you can visit.

The best view is that you have right in front of you the volcano

check this hotel at fira.

If I had the money this will be the first hotel I would stay.

http://www.cosmopolitan-santorini.com/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which location best in Santorini?

Hi guys

We stayed in Esperas www.esperas.com last september - absolutley the most romantic setting in Oia - peaceful, uninterupted Caldera views - overlooking the little fishing harbour - you can even here the jazz from the old sailing boat that brings trips up from Fira for the sunset each evening as you sit, completely chilled out on your own private balcony watching the sun set. Each room is a beautifully designed cave - as the locals used to live but with all mod cons - the pool flows into a cave too. Breakfast is on the terrace with amazing views - $400 would easily buy you a room here.

There is loads to do in Oia - plenty of little botiques, and some of the islands best restaurants - Ambrosia & Nectar was our favourite. No cars in the village makes the pace chilled and slow - but with some good wine bars that mean you can sit on the balconies till the small housrs means a better and much less 'touristy' place than Fira

7. Re: Which location best in Santorini?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2006, 21:06