We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time family trip to Greece

atlanta
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
First time family trip to Greece

I know this question is very wide open, but I'd still very much appreciate insight from those who know the islands well.

Our family will be spending 10 days in Greece in early July and wanted to divide time among a couple of locations, with likely one or two days set aside for Athens. We'll be flying to Beijing for another 10 days after Greece, so my preference would be to spend our time in Greece near small, quiet, authentic villages...but not so quiet that the kids (15,13,7) get restless and bored. We'd like to see Santorini - but I'm uncertain how many days to spend there...and also don't know what other island(s) we should attempt to visit. I had considered flying into Santorini, then perhaps taking a ferry back toward Athens, with a stop over somewhere enroute....is this a good plan...any better suggestions? We'll look to arrange villas in each destination, and probably would not want to spend any less than 3 days in any one location.

Thanks so much in advance

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time family trip to Greece

santorini is the place to be for all ages.

The kids will not get bored I am sure.

You have to stay at least 3 days and my suggestion on the way back to Athens make a little stop for one day in Naxos.

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time family trip to Greece

If you stay at Naxos 1 day is not enough! I would say 3 days to get around the island minimum.

Mikri

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time family trip to Greece

Hi Arthurf!

One day for Athens is not enough, since you 'll be arriving with a long flight. The same that applies for the islands should apply for Athens too. So, a minimum of 2 - 3 days has to spent in Athens.

Most people want to visit Santorini. It is a highlight ( while not the only abslolutely spectacular location in the country ).

Flying in one direction and ferrying on return is a convenient way to vosit the islands. I always prefer to leave Santorini last, since i relly think it is a kick highlight, so ferrying and flying would possibly be the way to do it but it;s ok this way too.

10 days in Greece with 2 or 3 islands is the most typical way to visit Greece, the way most people do it. It is a good way of getting the "main package" ( Cycladic islands, some beaches and glorious food ) but it surely gives you the most typical view.

I 'd say that if you do it this way, it should be somewhat like Athens / Santorini and perhaps Paros or better Naxos on return to Athens.

Many people visiting Greece for 10-12 days are doing it like Athens - plane to Santorini - catamaran to Crete - plane to Athens. This way you 'll have the chance to visit the fantastic island of Crete for some time, making your trip in Greece a much more expanded experience.

Defnitely hire a car in your islands locations. Prices are sensible and with 3 kids on board it will be really valuable.

atlanta
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time family trip to Greece

So I guess the question becomes Naxos or Crete?

I've read many things about Crete and have been very interested, but had not considered Naxos before the email string this morning. In search the internet for villa-type arrangements in Naxos, I was not able to find much; there is certainly far more available in Crete. Since we are going on to Beijing for 10 days after Greece, I do want the Greece eexperience to be somewhat relaxing - I know if will be crowded, hectic and busy once in China.

The Cat to Crete sounds interesting - how long does it take to travel there from Santorini? I assume, there would then be redily available flights back to Athens for our trip onward??

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time family trip to Greece

Hi Arthur

I agree with what Nick says.

I have not been to Crete so can't realy advise on the island. However it is a large island and probably need more time to see everything. Ask on Crete forum. Naxos on the other hand is smaller and you could see the main sights in 3 days and visit good beaches. You could stay in Hora which has a lively buz and nice beach or a little more relaxing perhaps at Agios Prokopios 10 mins away by car and frequent bus schedule. Here it's laid back and the long beach one of the best with another good long beach in walking distance beyond Agia Anna. So something to see and relax as well.

The small airport is half way between Hora and Prokopios but only has one or two flights a day. Several ferry options to Pireas (5 hours) or Rafina by fast boat.

Hope this helps, Mikri

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time family trip to Greece

Check this out:

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/

It is 1h 30 mins, so i think it's worth while.

Official site for Hellenic Seaways is:

www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=209.

Booking is still not available for July but you can have a draft idea on the page i sent u.

http://www.ferries.gr/

is another optional booking site.

Crete island, cradle of Minoan civilisation, is a really good option. If you plan to rent a car you 'll have huge opportunities exploring the island. It is true that it deserves more days, as any place in Greece, but in the other hand nobody has endless vacation days!

If you want to see more sites and take full advantage of your visit, go for Crete as an additional option.

If you want to chill out and relax from a heavy winter go for Naxos as additional option, staying in Cycladic islands area.

I know i am putting some extra yahoo! job to be done, but that's part of the trip too.

:))