We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

malta
13 posts
Save Topic
Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

My husband and I will take a cruise this June, the ship will stop in Santorini for a day. My question is since only for one day, and we don't have much time, Is it better to take taxi or rent a car?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,352 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

Depends what you want to do. If you hope to visit Thira town, Oia and Akrotiri, with perhaps a look at ancient Thira then a car would be a very good idea. I've not been to Santorini for a few years but the roads were very quiet and driving was easy back in 2000.

If you're only going up to Thira, then a taxi will probably be fine.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

Taxies in Santorini are so expensive.

Either rent a car or also use the buses which have many routes during the sumemr.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

I used taxis in Santorini last year and had absolutely NO problem. Prices seemed sensible to me.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

Pandachris2 advice is totally right on the path.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

When on Santorini I prefer renting a car. It's better for getting to all the destinations without having to rely on taxi service. But, like Nick says, taxis are also reasonable if you decide to go that way and I concur with Pandachris as well...it all depends on what you are looking to do.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

I would say it depends how much time the cruise ship is giving you. If you have limited time as most cruise ships give you, your best bet would be cabs. That way you won't be spending time looking for car and turning it in. I ttakes time to get up the mountain from the cruise ship.

7. Re: Taxi or rent a car in Sanorini?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2006, 17:17