We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minoan Air

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Minoan Air

Can anybody tell me if Minoan Air will still run their Heraklion to Santorini flights next summer? They have taken Santorini off their schedule, but I'm not sure if this is because there are no flights in the winter - or because they've gone the same way as Sky Express and abandoned this route. I've emailed them twice, but had no reply yet.

I've already rearranged our whole itinerary (3 extra days at our villa booked, so that we can fly 'light' to Santorini, leaving most of our stuff at the villa) to allow for Minoan flights, but now don't know what to do!

Thanks for any information.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Minoan Air

Don't read too much into the fact that Minoan Air isn't flying to Santorini over the winter. There just isn't the demand, and I don't think the airline would care to fly that route with empty aircraft, any more than Hellenic Seaways and Sea Jets Consortium want to sail from Crete to Santorini in the winter with empty catamarans.

Only Minoan Air know what their schedule will be next summer, so you will have to wait for an answer from them.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Minoan Air

Flights between Crete and Santorini are seasonal. There is no need to keep them year round. Even the frequency of ferries on this route has been reduced and next week it will be cut to just one per week.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minoan Air

Thanks guys. Yes, I realise that the flights between Crete and Santorini are seasonal, but 'Santorini' appears to have completely disappeared from their schedule! I will be patient and wait for their new timetable to be released and keep my fingers crossed!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minoan Air

Santorini may also be listed as Thira.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Minoan Air

I see what you mean, but Santorini is still listed as a destination on their "About Us" page: http://minoanair.com/en/About . Of course that could just mean they haven't gotten around to updating the page yet, but chances are they will be flying to Santorini again next year. Their current schedule isn't enough to keep four Fokker 50 aircraft busy, so hopefully they will still be around next summer.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minoan Air

I'm hoping this too, Heimdall. If not, I have to rearrange my itinerary again! I've planned to take the Friday flight out to Santorini and the Monday flight back. But if there are no flights (and we don't want to take the Flying Cat) - it'll have to be the 'bigger' ANEK (?) ferry which leaves on Wednesdays and returns on Saturdays - so all the accommodation would have to be rebooked!! I just wish somebody from the company would reply to one of my emails.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Minoan Air

Currently ANEK leaves on Sundays, not Wednesdays. ANEK do not change their timetables very often (this year there was only one major change when they dropped one sailing to Santorini and rearranged the whole Piraeus-Create-Santorini-Dodecanese route) but it does mean the schedule will stay the same until next summer. I wouldn't start rebooking anything until the situation is clear.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Minoan Air

>I just wish somebody from the company would reply to one of my emails.<

Moo_bear, why don't you call them on the phone? ;-)

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minoan Air

Oh, goodness - thanks for that Ozzlem. I was going by the timetable on this page cretetravel.com/To_and_from_Crete/Ferries_Cr… I guess it's out of date! A Sunday sailing would be fine for us - but Sunday out and Saturday back would be no use at all. Oh well, that's the back up plan out - bring on the Flying Cat!!

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minoan Air

I will phone them if I get desperate, Heimdall. But I don't like the phone much and don't speak any Greek, so, for now, I'll hope for an email response!!