We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini or Ibiza?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini or Ibiza?

Wondering if I can get some feedback on which Island to take holiday on. We're from the States and will be in the UK in June 2013 for daughters wedding. It will also be the year of our 30th wedding anniversary and so after the daughters wedding the wife and I are looking at places to go for a week. My choices are either Greece (Santorini) or Spain (Ibiza). We both enjoy the sand, sun and ocean. So, if anyone by chance has visited both I would appreciate your first hand knowledge with both likes and dislikes.

Thank You.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

Hi there

Congratulations to you both....its our 30th Wedding Anniversary too in June next year :-)

Anyway back to your question....not sure where you were intending to stay in Ibiza? I have been there a few times and Santorini too....and apart from both being islands they are very different so it depends on what you are looking for from your holiday really?

If it was me and my 30th (lol) then I would choose Santorini over Ibiza - because of the unique beautiful views of the Caldera and how romantic the island is especially places like Oia - but its your choice, what do you like doing on your hols ??

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

Be aware that certain parts of Ibiza are "party central" for much of the youth of Europe, quite often kids on their first holiday with friends and away from their parents. It can get a bit hectic, to say the least - alcohol and drug crazed kids partying 24/7, lots of noise and drunken behaviour.

Having said that, some parts of Ibiza are very exclusive and up-market, just do your research very carefully and make sure you know exactly which part of the island you want to go to - if you went somewhere like San Antonio, I'm afraid you'll end up in some 18/30 hell, full of drunk, drug crazed young Europeans (it's a bit like your Spring Break in the US, except on steroids).

If it was me, for a 30th wedding anniversary, it wouldn't even be a contest, Santorini would be the only option.

Martin

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

Thank you so much for your responce.

Well, number one relaxing. lol Actually, we love to do just about everything a normal holday entails suchs as sightsee, good food, lots of drink, some nighlife (but its not that important). As I mentioned we love the ocean and watersports, beaches and the sun. I do understand that Ibiza might be a younger persons kind of place but when it comes right down to it we dont consider ourselves "old' yet. lol Santorini pictures are always SO beautiful though.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

Hi there

We stayed in Oia when we went to Santorini and didnt travel around the island as the majority of the time we just chilledout looking at the view :-) However, I dont think Santorini has brillant beaches....which Ibiza does - as with the previous poster Ibiza can be party central but if you look at some where like Portinatx where I have stayed which does have beautiful views and a lovely beach too..and definately isnt an 18 - 30 type resort either

www.ibiza-spotlight.com/portinatx_i.htm

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,469 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

For many visitors Santorini's beaches leave a lot to be desired. The water is still beautiful but the beaches can be a disappointment. They're not the typical golden sandy beach one usually envisions, but are either red or black rock/pebbles/grit and can be very hot in the summertime because of heat absorption/retension. The two main beaches, Perissa and Kamari, are very popular with European package tour companies and will be quite busy in June. The side of the island where all the photos are taken with the villages hanging off the cliff overlooking the caldera is what first attracts people to Santorini. If you do go there, considering you'll be celebrating your 30th, consider staying where you can enjoy the views. You can always rent a car or take the bus to the beach in around 30 minutes.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

I'd be interested to know how you narrowed it down to Ibiza in Spain and Santorini in Greece.

Ibiza has some good beaches, and parts of the island that are very quiet. Just a short ferry ride from Ibiza is Formentera, which has some of the best beaches in the Mediterranean.

Santorini has stunning scenery, but isn't known for great beaches. Just a short ferry ride from Santorini is Naxos, which has some of the best beaches in Greece.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

I have stayed on Ibiza many times over 30 years or so and have stayed on around 20 Cyclades islands regularly, including Santorini.

A direct comparison between just those two for a beach holiday of sun, sand and sea for a week - Ibiza wins by a very large margin. Santorini is quite dire, actually probably the worst choice out of the Cyclades islands.

You do have to be careful of what resort you stay in Ibiza, San Antonio these days is very downmarket/trashy indeed. However that still leaves plenty of choice. Probably your best choice would be somewhere like Santa Eulalia/Es Cana area, plenty of UK packages go there.

Ibiza has much better beaches, cheaper, greener, better food, better bars with more entertainment.

Nothing wrong with a day or two on Santorini backpacking around the Cycades islands, but for a week of sun, sand, sea, it's absolute rubbish.

I notice you have also posted in the Ibiza section on 'Thomson Gold' hotels in Ibiza so I will add to that in due course as I have stayed in one on Ibiza and indeed in Mallorca.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
218 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

Great. Thank you all very much for your feedback so far. It's hard to explain why I picked these two locations but basically since we'll be in that general part of the world I wanted somewhere as tropical as possible. We tend to gravitate towards the warmer sun filled holidays rather than tour around the mainland sightseeing. The pictures of Santorini are amazingly beautiful and the "fun" of Ibiza looked interesting. Normally from the States we would head to the Caribbean for our 30th wedding anniversary.

9. Re: Santorini or Ibiza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 05:17