We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries in the Cyclades

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries in the Cyclades

Hi

I' m thinking of spending 4 or 5 days on Santorini and then catching a ferry to another island for a few more days. How much does the average ferry trip cost? Is there anything I should know about catching ferries around the Greek Isles?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries in the Cyclades

Sorry, but what is an "average" ferry trip? When you think about it the cost depends on where you start, how far you go and how many changes you have to make along the way. All tickets are point-to-point only.

This ferry route map will help you figure it out: greeceathensaegeaninfo.com/ferry-info-greece…

You can try some basic trial bookings here to see what some of the costs are. http://www.greekferries.gr

Edited: 10 January 2013, 06:20
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries in the Cyclades

Ferries can cost anything from a few euros upwards, depending on the length of the route and vessel that you use. What routes are you thinking of doing?

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries in the Cyclades

I am thinking of going back to Athens via Naxos. So, I would need a ferry from Thira to Naxos, then Naxos to Piraeus. I was under the probably mistaken impression that ferries were government operated. My friend told me that ferries can be rather expensive.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries in the Cyclades

Expect 20€ from Santorini to Naxos and 35€ Naxos to Pireus using the daily Blue Star ferry. High Speed may cost the double, and some of the smaller local ferries less. A flight from Naxos to Athens is 80€. Dont expect any "last minute bargains". All the ferries are private operated. Most of the ferries are considered the "blood system" of island transport, and are partly paid by the governement.

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries in the Cyclades

Thankyou everyone for your helpfulness.

Brotherleelove, your net links are useful and interesting. I'll have a good look at them. So far, a bit confusing .... it takes a lot longer to get from island to island than I had anticipated.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries in the Cyclades

I consider myself being a rather experienced traveller on Greek ferries, still I found the map on Harry-Greece web pages a bit confusing. On the other hand there is a lot of interesting information of the different islands. But be aware that all "must sees" and "best islands" are only personal opinions. For some reason I myself try to avoid the two islands most American and Australian tourists think are the only Greek islands worth visiting.

When it comes to ferry schedules, there are two web-sites to rely on: www.gtp.gr and www.openseas.gr At present time it is far too early for summer schedules to be released. You may guess that last years schedules will be repeated, but you are never sure.

www.ferries.gr is ok for finding prices, but it is not complete with all ferry options.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries in the Cyclades

Something else to keep in mind is that Harry's map doesn't show a ferry route between Santorini and Rhodes but it DOES EXIST.

Also, Aegean Airlines offers deeply-discounted 'saver' fares between Athens and some of the islands, as little as €39 one-way, all taxes included. Sign up for their email newsletter as well as keep an eye out on their website. They're usually offered a couple of months before the travel dates involved.

8. Re: Ferries in the Cyclades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:16