We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

Oakwood ,Ontario
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

I am looking for much needed assistance to book travel to Santorini, Greece flying out of Toronto. It is a 25th Anniversary trip for my husband and I. We have only traveled to the Carribean, within Canada, USA and recently to Central America. We've only ever flown direct to any location. Feeling a little out of my element trying to pick which airline, reasonable prices and time frame to get flight booked before anticipated travel date (after the 15th of Sept 2013). Any assistance from you seasoned world travelers out there would be so appreciated.

Regards,

Carolyn & Currie

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,653 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

Find out which airlines fly between Toronto to Athens. Check the websites of the airlines involved for pricing. Cross-check pricing using online ticket services such as Skyscanner, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, etc. They're often less-expensive. These same websites will tell you which flights are shortest and longest in duration, a consideration I always factor in to my purchase. Be sure that you have enough time to change planes since you'll be going through Customs and Passport Control at that connecting EU airport which can slow down the process to a maddeningly-slow pace that makes catching the ongoing flight an unpleasant and stressful race.

I did a test booking using SkyScanner and found tickets for about $1350 per person.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,653 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

I forgot to mention that sometimes you can book the Athens>Santorini flight for less money by going through the Aegean Airlines or Olympic Air websites as a separate transaction. If you do this you need to give yourselves enough time in Athens to collect your bags and go upstairs to check in, at least 2 hours.

That said, the $1350 ticket price I mentioned did include that flight and the necessary "legal" connection time was included as well.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

Only Air Transat and Air Canada fly direct to Athens during the summer; this year, the Athens flights for AC will be on its new "leisure" airline, Rouge. There is an outside chance that a new Toronto-based airline will start flying direct to Athens this summer, but they haven't yet announced any kind of schedule.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

Hey and welcome Carolyn M:-) If you're used to directs (which I agree are the way to go on long hauls if available), would look into donnyb's advise and check out both carriers.. you can book r/t tickets to Athens from Toronto.. and do a seperate booking on either www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ for the domestic short, approx 40 min flight over to Santorini.. you can sign up now for email alerts.. some great deals offered throughout the year.. and as Lee states, give yourselves a good min 2 hour time spread between flights.. the more the better to be on the safe side.. especially if you fly direct which will requrie all the formalities.. passport control, luggage retrieval, re-checking in, etc..;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

If,however, the price difference between 1 ticket all the way to Santorini vs 2 seperate is not significant for you,book the first one,just for peace of mind!

Grigoris

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

Hey Grigoris:-) Usually, it's way more pricier to head right to an isle on 1 thought ticket on a trans;-) There may be deals out there.. but I've yet to find one from the States at least, lol;-) Regardless, am assuming here they'll also want to stay in Athens for a bit.. or possibly head to somewhere esle for a bit coming the distance?;-) In that case, a trans through r/t ticket to/from an isle doesn't work anyway;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

Hi Litsa,i realise it's probably pricier to head direct to an island on 1 ticket,but it can also be even more pricey if something happens in the first leg of the trip that can lead to the loss of the second one..However,if the OP wants to spend some days in Athens there's of course no problem!

p.s:Off topic,but i may visit Skopelos in July,so it's possible that i will need your help Litsa.. :)

Grigoris

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

How could you fly from Toronto to Santorini on one ticket, if the only two Canadian airlines that fly direct to Greece fly only to Athens? From Athens the OP would have to fly Aegean or Olympic to Santorini, so that means two tickets will be required.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

Hey donnyb:-) Not sure about Olympic, but believe Aegean has alliance/partnership wiith Air Canada so a through ticket could be purchased through them.. haven't priced it, but booking the domestic isle flight seperately should fare more economical.. regardless, this would only work if the pax flies r/t which I beleive would be pretty rare for those of us coming the longer haul;-)

Would be my pleasure to help out Grigoris.. FWIW, I love Salonika and have travelled down to the Sporades numerous times from there throughout the years;-) Enjoyin'!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need flight advice for 2013 to Santorini from Toronto for 2

Aegean & AC are both Star Alliance, but you can't book a Toronto to Santorini flight online through the AC/Rouge websites .... since the travel involves a partner airline, booking must be done over the phone with an AC/Rouge reservations agent. I'd be amazed if there is a cost savings by booking that way. In past years whenever travel agents have checked flight prices for me, they've always been more expensive than the deals I found on the Aegean website.