We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting September

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting September

We were hoping to visit Santorini towards the end of September, but our travel agent has suggested that the resorts will be largely closed down (or closing down) by this time and that restaurants, service etc. will suffer as a result. Would this be a fair comment?

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting September

By "resorts", I'm assuming Perissa and Kamari, as you're in the UK.

Late September is actually a lovely time to visit - the temperatures are still high, but without the oppressive heat of July and August, the crowds of the peak season have also gone. I always visit in late September.

It's true that *some* places have closed, but mainly these are places that maybe haven't had such a good summer, but the vast majority of hotels, bars and restaurants are well and truly open and often still very busy.

Take no notice of the travel agent, book your flights and get over there, you'll love it.

Martin

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting September

Thanks. I have to say we were really looking forward to visiting what looks to be a heavenly destination and had assumed that September would avoid the hoardes!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting September

We stayed in Oia in late September. It was perfect. Not as many people as i had expected. weather was great, cloudy and a couple drops of rain one day but otherwise perfect. Everything was still open.

With TA why do you need a 'travel agent'??

Athens, Greece
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting September

i have worked in Santorini last summer till end of October,

towards end of September is still lovely!!! yes true as,MARTIN STATED: Take no notice of the travel agent, book your flights and get over there, you'll love it.

true there are places that maybe haven't had such a good summer and closed or are closing.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting September

We were there in early October, and the island was still wonderful. Nicest in the evenings when the cruise ships had left!

I have to agree with all of the above posters... get that plane booked, and have a wonderful time!

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting September

Thanks everyone. I did have my heart set on Santorini, so shall definitely be booking the flights as soon as!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting September

Excellent. Come back and let us know where you decide to stay. You'll have a wonderful time wherever you end up.

Martin

Leyland, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting September

I am going on the 1st october so i hope its still pleasent and things are open!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting September

Early October is still pleasant and things will be open.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting September

Septemer is one of the BEST times to visit Santorini! Even the whole October is great for tourists to come For us who lives on the island, September until December is the best and from April until middle of June, then it gets too busy...

Ingela

Edited: 12 March 2013, 08:16