We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

Hi all,

My wife and I will be visiting Greece in May and will arrive on the 17th from Paris. Our original plan was to stay in Athens for one night, then to Santorini, then Crete and find our way to Istanbul for our return flight back to Canada. However, upon closer investigation, the trek from Crete to Istanbul proves to be quite an adventure including a long bus ride inland in Turkey so we've decided to fly out of Santorini to Istanbul instead.

My question is this, the flight I'm looking at from Santorini to Athens departs at 7am which means likely I have to be at the airport say an hour earlier, will there be any taxis or bus running at that hour? We likely will rent a car, but will the rental companies be open that early for us to drop off the car?

Second question is this, there will be a 6 hour gap between my connecting flights from Athens to Istanbul, are we able to get our of the airport to a surrounding area while we wait for our flight?

Any help on this would great appreciated. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

Hey and welcome Antony Y:-) The properties in Santorini are well aware of flight arrival/departure times.. you can always make arrangements to have a cab waiting to get you to the airport.. at any time;-) As far as the rental, there is an agency at the port where I remember we dropped off the car.. we rented in Oia but forget the name of the rental company! You can always ask when you rent the car if it's an option to drive it straight to the port and drop it off there.. if not, easy enough to work out the transfer via your hotel;-)

With a 6 hour time spread.. am assuming here that's a full 6 hours and not arrival time.. departure time.. giving to leeway to formalities involved for both?;-) If you have not alloted for that timing, you're really looking at more like 3 hours.. maybe 4 max! If this is your only time in Athens, would consider giving it at least an overnighter coming the distance;-) Shame to miss out on a visit here to one of the 7 wonders of the world;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,688 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

The taxi drivers are used to picking up passengers for those early-morning departures. The rental car companies are too.

There's really nothing much to see out around the airport. I suppose you could take the Airport Metro into Central Athens in 45 minutes (each way) for one last quick run through the Plaka, but your time there would be very limited.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

Thank you both for the quick replies. I am just about to book the flight and that addressed my concerns.

We will spend a couple of days in Athens before taking a ferry to Santorini, so we will be able to explore the city a little before the arrival to Santorini. I wanted to have the option to leave the airport and not be stuck at the airport as the wait time is the full 6 hours (flight arrives at 7:45 or so and doesn't depart until 1ish).

As a follow up, I pretty much have not firmed up the plan for our time between the arrival in Athens on May 17th and our departure from Istanbul on the 27th.

Would 2 days in Athens (17th, 18th) be enough to explore the city. We would then take an early ferry to Santorini on the 19th and fly out of Santorini on the 25th. Is it wise to spend all that time on Santorini, or should I perhaps visit another island close by for a couple of days?

Thanks once again!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

What I would do with a six hour layover is take a taxi to Rafina (about 20 min from the airport) have a walk around, then find a cafe overlooking the harbour where you can have a late breakfast or early lunch.

If you can check in for the flight before leaving the airport you won't have to worry about luggage, and with boarding passes in hand can walk straight to the departure gate upon return from Rafina.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

Our pleasure Antony Y:-) The 2 full days in Athens will pretty much ensure you get the 'basics' in.. the major sites;-) If you're into Museums, you may want to add an additional day leaving for Santorini a day later on the 20th?;-) This is purely a personal call.. all up to your prefs, interests, travel style! It's your vaca so you rule depending on what you want do see/do.. what you're looking to experience;-)

If you're looking more for a laid back isle experience, 6 days in Santorini will fly by! I've spent up to 11-12 days on the isle on one trip and difficult to tear me away;-) Keep us posted.. keep enJOYin'!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

I'd rather be in Santorini than Athens anyday!! So I agree with Litsa. The 2 days will be enough for Athens. You can take a walking tour that encompasses all the major sights, including the Acropolis. Then you can have one day on your own to do whatever. I found the one full day plenty.

There is so much more to do and see in Santorini. Wineries, museums, beaches, and even boat trips to the volcano. Oh, and the tavernas!

Have a great time. May is a nice time to be in Greece.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

Thanks for all your advise. Unfortunately, the flight I wanted went up in price significantly and I have to go the ferry route to and from athens. Your info is still much appreciated though!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

Our pleasure Antony Y:-) Enjoyin'!

9. Re: 7am Flight from Santorini to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 06:19