We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Santorini Flight

someplace
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Santorini Flight

I am looking at flights from the US to Athens, and then will be taking a separate flight on Aegean Air from Athens to Santorini. The arrival time from the US to Athens is 9:15 am, and I am looking to book the Aegean Air flight to Santorini that departs at 10:45 am. Will this be enough time to get my luggage from the Athens flight, and then re-check it for the Santorini flight? The airline from the US is US Airways, but I am not familiar with where the arrival gate (US Airways) and departure gate (Aegean Air) will be.

Many thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

Many arriving flights bus their passengers from somewhere out on the tarmac to an arrival gate and it won't necessarily be in the same place every time so there's no way to know which one it will be. The airport is not huge and it's well-designed so finding your departure gate for Santorini will be fast and easy. If your incoming flight is direct from the States you will have to take the time to collect your luggage, then go through Passport Control and Customs. Luggage collection can sometimes be agonizingly slow, depending on how many other flights are arriving at the same time and how busy the ground crew is. You will be taking a big chance on missing your flight, especially if you arrive late. If you're arriving from another EU airport you will have already been vetted and all you have to do in Athens is collect your bags and go. For this you'll probably have enough time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

Hey and welcome sunman55:-) You'll be happy to hear that the Athens airport is a new, modern, super-user friendly one all encompassed under 1 roof or terminal building.. take a look at www.aia.gr/ Once done with formalities, you simply take the stairs, escalator or elevator up one flight from arrivals to departures hall;-)

Having said that, you'll be arriving off a direct so you'll be going through formalities at Athens.. passport control.. luggage retrieval.. bottom line, usually doesn't take more than about half an hour to maybe 45 min.. depending on where you are in line for immigration/passport control.. and if your luggage is first.. or last out;-) Even if the entire process takes an hour (doubt it will!), you have about half an hour to re-check in for your onward puddle jumper.. the gate closes about 20-30 min before! So as you can see, it's certainly doable, if all goes like clockwork and most importantly, no incoming delays on the trans;-) It's a super personal call here;-) All up to your comfort zone.. personally, I'd give it a bit more time coming off a direct trans.. just to cover in case of any mishaps along the way;-) Nothing worse than starting out a vaca with a missed connection! You can also check www.olympicair.com/ for flights to Santorini and see if there is a flight that gives you a better time-spread between flights! FWIW, even if you have wait a few hours, the airport has some great cafes, restaurants, DF shopping.. even a Museum to fill your time;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

EDIT: Posting same time as Lee;-) The proceedure is passport control first.. then luggage retreival.. and finally customs which is basically a walk through the 'green' door;-)

Edited: 10 March 2013, 19:40
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

You can check in online up to a day or two in advance and print out your boarding passes, which saves a little time when you get to Athens. I believe both Aegean and Olympic have luggage drop off points near the check-in desks for those who have already checked in, so that saves a little more time.

If your flight isn't late and there are no holdups with luggage you should have just enough time to make the Santorini flight. Knowing that things don't always go according to plan, I would rather have 2-3 hours layover time, and would be looking for a later flight.

someplace
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

Wow, very fast responses! Thank you all for the information. This will be a direct flight from the US, so Greece will be the first EU airport we arrive at.

I didn't know about Olympic Air. I just checked their website, and it looks like they have an 11:45 departure to Santorini. Although it is about 45 euro more than the Aegean Air flight, I think that will be a much better option since it gives us an additional hour. Like you say Litsa, we don't want to start our vacation out by missing that first connection! :-)

The help has been much appreciated.

Edited: 10 March 2013, 19:57
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

Our pleasure sunman55:-) Sounds like a plan;-) Glad that Olympic had something to better fit the bill.. even though a bit pricier.. better safe than sorry;-) FWIW, that USAir direct is only 1 of 2 out of the States.. the other being Delta out of JFK.. unfortunately, both are only seasonal.. but again, better 'only seasonally' than none at all;-) Those morning arrivals are great giving you a good start to getting to wherever you're looking to get if moving onwards;-) You'll be in Santorini in time for lunch.. and getting your land legs back;-) Keep us posted.. keep enJOYin'!

boston
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

Hi everyone....we are looking to book the same 11:45am Olympic flight to Santorini. Arriving on the Delta 9:15 flight. I have been watching the rates hoping to catch a special fare...but am wondering if I should just go ahead and book now? We are flying in on June 14. Do you know if the flights tend to sell out early?

Thank you in advance....starting my countdown ;)

Ann

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

Hey and welcome Ann:-) Well, sounds like you've pretty much nailed the trans and are looking to fly out specifically on the 14th.. so not much room to play around with, lol;-) Bottom line, if you're comfortable with the fare.. itinerary you're looking to plot out.. and it fits (which is appears to do;-), I'd go for it;-) You can then start planning further.. hotel in Santorni, etc..;-) It's your call of course, but with what sounds like well laid out plans, I wouldn't want to risk it getting sold out! EnJOY!

Edited: 10 March 2013, 22:21
boston
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

Thank you Litsa, that was my feeling as well...just would hate to book it today and see a super saver fare come up tomorrow:). But you are right that it is worth the peace of mind to pay the current fare...not much in the grand scheme of things! I have most of our dream trip planned and booked....flight from the states arriving 6/14 9:15am , take the 11:45 Olympic flight to Santorini...have booked Filotera Villas in Oia for 3 nights...then ferry to Naxos for 4 nights at Boutique Hotel Glaros, with a day trip to Delos / Mykonos. We then ferry back to Athens for 2 full days before flying out on 6/24 . I am beyond excited ! Am taking all the wonderful advice from you and the other regular posters:)

Thank you!

Ann

Edited: 11 March 2013, 03:51
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

You're very welcome Ann;-) I agree with you.. not much in the scheme of things.. well said;-) It's the 'not looking back' that gets ya, lol!! Anyway, sounds like you've got it all nailed.. good plan;-) Now the wait;-o) Keep us posted.. enjoyin'!

boston
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens to Santorini Flight

Flight is booked! June will be here before we know it...so excited:)