We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

My husband and I will be travelling (59 and 60). Here is the itinerary I have thus far and would welcome suggestions.

Day 1: Arrive from Crete around noon. We are staying at Volcano View Hotel (about 2km south of Fira)

• Relax at the hotel and pool in the afternoon

• Go out for the evening about 5 – heading to Oia for dinner and

sunset at Amoudi Bay (Can someone tell me the best way to

get there – do we need to rent a car, moped/4 wheeler or is it

possible to travel by bus? Also I would prefer a place where

locals go to eat – any suggestions?)

Day 2:

• Get up early and take the hike from Fira to Oia. I have read this

is a 3-4 hour hike. So hoping an early start would have us

finished before the hottest part of the day. Questions:

is going one way better than the other Fira to Oia or Oia to

Fira?

How early do the busses run and do they run from

south of Fira where we are staying or would we need to

walk to Fira?

• Return to Hotel – relax a bit – have lunch

• Santorini Wine Roads Tour – late afternoon tour

Day 3:

• Cruise tour of some type to the volcano – still researching this – Thinking of Spiridakos tour out of Fira. Other

suggestions welcome.

Day 4

• We leave for Samos via Athens early this afternoon but have the

morning.

If anyone has suggestions of something we should add, delete or trade for something else – we always appreciate your thoughts!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

Hey and welcome qtpi1:-) Just to note, you'll get the sunset view from high above in Oia.. Ammoudi is a small fishing village below Oia.. there are steps down.. quite a bit.. but you can also rent a car for your stay which we found ideal in getting around! You can also call for a cab.. you don't mention 'when' you'll be going as that is a factor since in Season, can be a bit of a wait! Only limited # of cabs on the isle to accommodate and it gets very busy in Season;-) While down at Ammoudi, you'll find a few wonderful tavernas specializing in fish amongst other delights.. I've enjoyed Katina's many times.. once you pick a fresh fish, they weigh it and will tell you the cost since they're priced by weight.. how it works everywhere on the isles with fresh fish;-)

I would highly rec to add Akrotiri to your list;-) Finally re-opened after being closed for many years.. it finally opened last year and IMO, a not-to-miss while on the isle;-) Am sure you'll get loads of great advise/suggestions from many others here;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

Thanks Litsa!! I was just reading about Akrotiri. Noticed a comment on TA that they thought it was touristy compared to Ancient Thera. Have you been to both? The other reveiws were very positive toward going. Just thought I would ask. We will be there mid June - so in season but I hope not at the height of it!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

You're welcome qtp1:-) Well, saying it's 'touristy' is like saying the Akropolis is touristy in Athens, lol!! It's a major archeological site in Santorini and although I visited a couple of times in th past.. not since the recent closure and would love to see it again;-) Santorini is an extremely popular isle so by mid-June, you're pretty much in Season.. although not as mobbed as it gets in July/August.. packed enough;-) My last 2 visits (since Akrotiri closed) were both in early-mid May.. and even then, it was hoppin';-) Keep enJOYin'!

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

Hi

Why go 2 times to Oia when Santorini has so many nice and traditional villages to see and where you will get better and more local food then in Oia....??? Pirgos is a village not so far from your hotel (just up the hill) and the bus will pass outside your hotel if you don't want to rent a car or go by taxi. AND Pirgos has an even better sunset, is much less tourisy, more traditional then Oia. At least that's mine and many others opinion. You have a very good restaurant there: Selene. Just before Pirgos square is one of the few Kafenions left on Santorini, if not the only one.. Kafenions is an old tradition which still exists but many has closed down in modern times: http://www.agni.gr/greek_life/kafeneons.asp

If you instead take a bus to Magalochori (the bus will also pass your hotel), another nice village with a small square where you can choose from many good places to eat: Raki, Marmita (on the square) Athermi has a view over the caldera and Feggera is rated number one in Megalochori! Here you also find one of the best winery's on the island: Gavalas (beside the square).

Another option and the best one is to take the wine tour the day you arrive instead!!! This way you will have your third day free and you can rent a car and drive around the whole island!! Akrotiri early for the excavations, Red beach after, Megalochori for lunch, visit Pirgos and stroll around. Other places a must to visit is Art Space is Mesa Gonia http://www.artspace-santorini.com/ The best tavern on the island is Metaxi Mas in Exo Gonia: http://www.santorini-metaximas.gr/en/

DON'T miss a visit in Finikia when you will walk to Oia. An old settling not to be missed! http://www.santorini.gr/index.php?/en/finikia

Enjoy!

Ingela

Edited: 26 March 2013, 12:40
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

Ingela's suggestions are good.

Sunset viewing is just as spectacular from where you are staying, and surrounding areas, as it is in Oia - without the crowds. Oia is of course a must see though - perhaps consider going there one morning. Ammoudi Bay is lovely to visit - particularly good during the day and a perfect place for lunch. I have had several good meals at Katina's as well.

If your legs are up to it you may as well start the walk to Oia from your hotel - otherwise you will need to take a bus or taxi into Fira.

Highly recommend a visit to Pyrgos village - its a gem often overlooked by tourists to the island (much to my secret delight whilst I am there). Lovely to wander through the narrow village paths leading up to the castle ruins atop the village. Taverna Kallisti overlooking Pyrgos Square serves delicious food at reasonable prices.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

Ingela and Nessie,

Great suggestions - this is what I was hoping for. I have not even read about Pyrgos or Finikia yet...time for more research. The wine tour on the first day would give us a good overview and then allow us to see sights closer to where we are staying as opposed to heading to Oia that night. I appreciate your help!

7. Re: Suggestions welcome on Santorini 3 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 07:16