We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

someplace
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

I am traveling to the Cyclades in early June and have 9 nights to split between Naxos and Santorini. I was originally thinking 5 nights Santorini, and then 4 nights Naxos. Would I be better off swapping the number of days at each island? It looks like there might be more to do on Naxos? Thanks in advance.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,827 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

I would definitely swap the number of days. Santorini is mostly about the spectacular scenery and views (which is also the reason for the island being swarmed by cruiseliners and day visitors daily), while Naxos is much more laid back (no cruiseliners) and has a lot to offer. Some of the best beaches in Greece, traditional villages in the mountainous and scenic interior, ancient sites....

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

There's much more to do in Naxos than in Santorini. For 9 nights, I'd go for 2 or 3 in Santorini and the rest in Naxos, especially if you rent a car. But I've read that the bus system on Naxos in excellent, so it might not be necessary.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,996 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

Santorini/Athens - 0

Ios - 4 nights.

Naxos - 5 nights.

Paros - 4 nights.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

While I think that Santorini is a must see for a first time visitor to Greece it rally is all about the views and two to three days can be enough for many people. My best advice is to get to Santporini and just be flexible. if you just fall in love with it then stay as long as you like and when you are ready to go then head out to Naxos. In June there will be lots of hotel rooms empty in Naxos so you can get a room without difficulty when you arrive on the island.

someplace
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

Thank you for the information. I am now leaning more towards 3 nights in Santorini, and 6 in Naxos. We are booking our hotels in advance, as we are fond of both of them and hate to chance them booking up. Our flight gets into Santorini at 12:35 on June 1st. I figure that first day we can relax and recover from jet lag. On June 4th, it looks like there are 2 ferries to Naxos, one at 11:55 and 15:30. So, we can enjoy half a day on the 4th before departing to Naxos. I'm just afraid that this schedule won't allow enough time to soak in Santorini. I would hate to book everything as mentioned, and then want to stay an extra night in Santorini, only to find out that our hotel is booked at that time. I'm torn here.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

I respectfully disagree with my friends, the previous posters. Don't sell Santorini short. Santorini has plenty to see and do. What does Naxos have in the way of activities that you can't find on Santorini? Both islands offer all the same activities, so if you want to spend more time on Santorini than 3 days you won't be disappointed.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 06:37
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,827 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

BLL,

Look up this link:

http://www.naxos-web.com/aboutnaxos.html

:o)

Edited: 03 April 2013, 21:12
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

Thank you Eric, I looked at that website and I see a list of activities and options that also exist on Santorini including historical/archaeological sites, watersports, shopping, good food, wedding venues/planners and health&fitness. Granted, Naxos is larger and there are some mountain villages that Santorini doesn't have but what activities do you know of there that can't be enjoyed on Santorini? And does Naxos have a wine industry that is as successful as Santorini?

I am simply saying that what ever island one chooses there will be plenty to see and do for 5 days.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 21:50
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

I agree to 100 % with brotherleelove. Santorini is NOT only for the views! There are so many nice villages to visit, plenty of good wineries, historical sites and a lot more to see then just Fira and Oia!

Read my post here for A LOT OF INFO ABOUT SANTORINI:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189433-i245-k6350…

Ingela

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Naxos/Santorini - How many days each?

I think answer is different for each person . How can we answer with no mention of OP's specifics?