We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancelling ferries

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
cancelling ferries

Seen quite a few messages about upcoming ferries being cancelled and money refunded. Bit concerned about ours booked in May

Is it something that tends to happen early in the season or more a result of greeces economic situation?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancelling ferries

It happens sometimes when the seas are too rough or there is a mechanical problem, not so much for economic reasons. The seas are calm in May.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cancelling ferries

I try to read most of ferry-related topics but have apparently missed those. Which ferries are being cancelled en masse and which one have you booked? Ferry cancellations have always happened but some types of ferries are prone to it than others.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancelling ferries

I have never heard of any cancellations for economic reasons. On the contrary, I have seen double sailings the day after a neccessary cancelation. Yesterday Express Scopelitis did a one-and-a-half round trip, Naxos-Amorgos-Naxos-Amorgos to catch in for a cancelled trip Naxos-Amorgos the day before.

Generally bookings isn't neccssary in May anyway, maybe except for a few sailing in the Easter.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 08:19
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancelling ferries

Seajets cancelled ferries from Athens to the islands 30th April to 9th May. Might be nothing but doesn't seem to be due to weather

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancelling ferries

For such a long period it is most likely maintenance.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cancelling ferries

I had a quick look at the Seajets website and and can't see any cancellations - you can still book them. The time you mentioned is around Greek Easter, ferries have always been running to a different schedule and if you cannot see availability for certain dates or routes it is more likely that the the tickets have been sold out. Seajets are also known for fiddling with their timetables and routes even when they have already been published. Also, being small catamarans they are the ones that get cancelled first due to bad weather. Nothing to to do with economic situation.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancelling ferries

No , thats nothing with the weather, but was it ever scheduled to sail earlier ? If it was, it may may be an annulal renovation which took longer than expected, thus delaying the start of the season. I have experienced cancellation for three different reasons only: 1. Weather, 2.Strikes, 3.Technical problems. Weather being the most common, and technical problems only by small ferries.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cancelling ferries

Ah, I can see - there seems some problem with the Seajet2 from Rafina. The Superjet from Piraeus is running. It is no problem though, there are plenty of other ferries to get from Athens to the islands affected by the Seajet2 cancellation (Tinos, Mykonos, Paros) during that period. Actually, that is the rule of thumb when travelling to the islands - always have something in reserve, a different ferry (preferable a bigger conventional one) or another day or two to make the journey.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cancelling ferries

I am on the facebook message page for Danae which is where I saw the info.

I would have thought around Greek Easter would be a busy time for them and a strange time to be cancelling for maintenance

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cancelling ferries

Oh well, if a ferry needs to be laid up for maintenance then it needs to laid up for maintenance. You do not want to sink or break down in the middle of the Aegean, do you.