We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

Will be traveling from Santorini to Mykonos Sept. 14th are my only choices Hellenic and SeaJets? And if so which would be best to use in possibility of rough seas (how are seas usually this time of year)? I tend to get rather sea sick. Thanks in advance for your response.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

Yes, these are your only direct options. Hellenic Seaways seem to have somewhat better reputation but there is no official reliability statistics to back that up. The Seajet Superjet is on a longer route than the HS Flyingcat so it may be more delayed. HS and Seajets are both small similar-size catamarans and both will be cancelled in rough seas. Meltemi is at its strongest in July-August, in mid September the weather should be more or less OK.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

You can minimize the side-to-side motion by sitting along the center line of the ship.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,895 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

Your only direct ferry choices are small catamarans, however you can minimise on their use buy just doing a stop in Paros. From Paros to Santorini can be done on the large Bluestar main line ferries, thus shortening the pain to 45 min.

It can get rough for days on end, obviously not predictable exactly when.

There is no way being in the centre of a catamaran makes any difference whatsoever. They are totally enclosed and hard to reference yourself to dry land. I have had to use them so many times, dodging measures sometimes are not possible.

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

If at all possible, my advice is to avoid the fast catamarans like you would a dose of flu... The one redeeming feature the have, is that they are fast. ( except in a sloppy sea!) I'd prefer to take a slow ferry any day, rather than endure another nightmare trip on these jet 'boats'..... See …wordpress.com/2012/…

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

Rizan22-

Sitting along the center line of the ferry works for me but it might not work for others. Some people are not affected by the rocking and some get sick no matter where they sit. In the enclosed environment of a catamaran the air will be thick with the odor of seasickness. I hope that the seas are calm when you make the journey.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

I hope the sea will be calm as well :) I remember this voyage 11 years ago ughh...I manged not to sick - very hard to control myself but, so many people did!

From what I can see I only have 2 choices as mentioned above. I dont think one is slower than the other. Are these not direct Santorini - Mykonos?

All my searches only come back to Hellenic and SeaJets. Thanks.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

They might not stop at all the same islands but they're the only two and the length of the trip is basically the same.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

Last time as I recall - I think... it was direct!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

FlyingCat 4 makes one stop and Superjet two stops between Santorini and Mykonos. FlyingCat 4 is scheduled to take 2hrs 35min, compared with 3hrs for Superjet. FlyingCat 4 is 13 metres longer and 3 metres wider than Superjet, so should have a slightly better ride in rough seas.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hate to ask a ferry question but here goes!

Heimdall based on both web sites, Hellenic and SeaJets both trips take approx 4 hours. Doesnt look like I have other choices. Thanks all for the info!