We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akrotiti

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Akrotiti

Hi

I know there were rumours of it re-opening last year - but does anybody know if Akrotiri is open now?

Thanks

R

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akrotiti

Sorry, I can answer my own question - just found the Akrotiri forum! (and the asnwer is obviously yes).

Ohio
Level Contributor
280 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akrotiti

We just went there the other day- it is most definitely open

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,470 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akrotiti

It reopened last year.

I was there this morning. It opens at 8.00 a.m. but closes at 3.00 p.m. at this time of year (closed on Mondays - as are most, if not all, museums - so keep that in mind for travel planning. I believe in mid-summer it will stay open until 5.00 p.m.

I was there when it opened and for the first 25 minutes, apart from the man taking tickets at the door, I had the entire place to myself and the only noise was the most amazing chorus of birdsong. Not inside the building but obviously just outside the roof. Another couple arrived about 8.30 and the tour coaches were out in full when I left at 11.00 a.m. So, if you can, arrive early and enjoy it in peace and quiet (birds, notwithstanding).

There is very little signage about what you're seeing, so do some research prior to your arrival. The man on the door said there was a guidebook, but it was only available at the Prehistoric Museum in Fira. However, I visited Fira this afternoon and they've run out and don't know if they will be getting any more. Good thing I took loads of photos.

I found the lack of information a little frustrating at first, but once I stopped to really look at what was there, I was able to discern various buildings and streets and just sort of 'relaxed into it' and really enjoyed what I was seeing. My favorite part is the Alpha A Section (the first discovered) with the large pithoi jars. Its about as far from the entrance as you can get.

The new outer shell has been really well done and its about the first thing I can confidently say about Santorini that is 100% wheelchair accessible. There is one place where the path immediately goes to stairs, but go back the way you came and its smooth path.

4. Re: Akrotiti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 06:19