We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

I am looking to book the Hellenic Seaways ferry from Mykonos to Santorini and I was curious if there is actually a difference between the business class seats and the seat economy & airtype seat on the ferry. If so, please let me know. Thank you!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

The catamarans are twice the price of a standard ferry anyway, so to pay even more for a business class seat a bit more comfortable and more room than economy is no point.

Economy is OK.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

You can see the difference here: http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/fc4-gallery.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Thanks so much! The standard ferries take twice as long, correct?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Time between Mykonos and Santorini would differ not just because of the speed of a ferry but depending on how many stops it makes along the way. I think a highspeed cat would be more than twice as fast if you were to do a side-by-side speed comparison. FYI-there is no 'standard' ferry between Santorini and Mykonos.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,987 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

>>The standard ferries take twice as long, correct?<<

Not really. Each ferry cruises at a different speed, and other factors to consider are number of stops and turnaround time at each port.

The best side-by-side comparison I can think of is the non-stop run between Piraeus and Paros. Looking at the July timetables I see Hellenic Seaways Highspeed 4 taking 3hrs 5min and Blue Star Delos, a conventional ferry, taking exactly 4hrs. That makes the highspeed only about 30% faster by my calculations.

Hellenic Seaways used to advertise 2hrs 45min for Piraeus to Paros. Perhaps they are reducing speed because of fuel costs.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

There is in fact a standard ferry between Mykonos and Santorini twice a week in July and Augest - NEL's Aqua Spirirt. However, it takes a very indirect route and the journey time is over 9 hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

the reasons behind booking business class on the high speed/sea jet /sea cat services is that you will get a bigger seat and usually the cabin is much more quieter than economy class.

economy will be noisy and much more busy.

only richer Greeks will pay for business class so often it is not full therefore a more peaceful environment.

nb;

Sunday ferries returning to Athens pireaus and rafina are always busy in summer.

the fast jet high speed fare prices are getting stupidly expensive now

the slower conventional car ferries are imho much nicer if you have the time...they often take twice as long but do cost much less and often have cabins if you are doing a long-haul down the islands.

they also often have erratic schedules so it is wise to always check and double check times.

there are several greek ferry online search engines provide all the latest schedules usually.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 15:05
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Thanks Mikets, that's a new one on me. I don't think I'd enjoy spending 9 housr on any ferry, although that's a large, comfortable one. I took it from Riva to Sikinos last time.

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

Does Hellenic Seaways Highspeed 5 run between Mykonos-Santorini in October.

We want to avoid the Superjet (mainly as my wife gets seasick and I'm unsure how rough the seas will be).

Our travel date is October 15th.

As far as I can see, I cannot find any itinerary in October

Edited: 12 August 2013, 15:46
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Mykonos to Santorini

No, the Highspeed5 is on this route only in high season. On 15th Oct you have no choice - it is only the Superjet.

www.gtp.gr/RoutesResults.asp…