We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

florida
Level Contributor
334 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

LOL! Don't ask!

We are a couple in our late 50's on an anniversary trip, and will be checking into Astros Suites Sept 11-15th , staying in a luxury ,pool suite(our huge vacation splurge!), but need a modestly priced B&B in another part of the island for a few days prior to checking into our dream hotel.

I am looking for suggestions on which town/village/area of Santorini for a different experience from Imerovigli, and would greatly appreciate your help & suggestions.

I am an avid TA veteran, and cannot begin to compliment all those on the Greek Islands/ Santorini Forums for your willingness to work with 1000's of travelers from around the world!!!

Thank you,

Bondgirl

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,618 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

I spent three enjoyable nights at Hotel Akrotiri a few weeks ago. It's right by the Akrotiri Beach, has a handful if waterside tavernas a minute's walk away and is a couple of minutes from the entrance to the Akrotiri archeological site. Red Beach is a stroll away and the bus back to Fira stops directly outside. The hotel offers B&B and has an on-site snack bar.

I just turned up on the day, although I'd been keeping an eye on Booking.com and I knew they had five rooms still available that morning. I'd also spoken to the owner, Mathios, last year and he gave me his business card (which I promptly lost!). Anyway, Mathios indicated that by booking direct he'd be able to offer a better rate as he wouldn't have to pay fees. My three nights cost Euro 100, inclusive.

www.hotelakrotiri.gr

The picture in their website looks like it might have been taken from my balcony (Room 17). That's another advantage by going direct, you can request a higher room for a better view of the bay.

One if the highlights for me was by staying there, I was able to get to the diggings when they opened at 8.00am and had the place to myself for the first 30 minutes.

You could easily take a daytrip into Fira via the bus.

I have written a review but can't link to it at the moment.

Good luck.

Edited: 01 June 2013, 21:27
florida
Level Contributor
334 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

Kennydon, Wow, thanks for all the information, and your quick response! Time is flying by, and I feel the need to finalize all these plans!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

I can find no hotel named "Astros Suites". Do you mean the Astro Palace Hotel or Astra Suites? I ask because both have suites with private pools. I just want to be sure that you realize that the Astro Palace Hotel does not overlook the caldera. If that's what you're expecting you will be sorely disappointed. Your view will be overland to the east side of the island and the sunrise, not into the caldera or westward to the sunset.

You have not mentioned your budget for the 2nd hotel. "Modestly priced" doesn't really tell us anything. You can check here village by village and use the filter system to choose something affordable with the facilities you require: http://www.booking.com

florida
Level Contributor
334 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

My mistake! We are staying in the pool suite of Astras Suites Santarini.

For our budget stay, we are looking to keep it under $200USD, if that will get us into a nice little family owned spot!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

$200 = €153

That's more than enough to get you something nice in September. Check Scirocco Apartments, Villa Ilias, Hotel Mylos, Villa Maria Damigou, Blue Dolphins Apartments, Gizis Apartments, Caldera's Memories, Thea Studios (the one in Oia), Laokasti Villas, Old Oia Houses, Villa Kallisti and Casa Sofia.

And don't forget the link I gave you above for even more possibilities.

florida
Level Contributor
334 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

Thank you, a wealth of choices!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,618 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

I've stayed at Scircco Apartments a few times and always enjoyed it. Close enough to access the shops, restaurants and transport, but far enough away from all Fira's hustle and bustle.

Another B&B I've stayed in is Donna's House in Pyrgos. A beautiful building with a stunning garden. Pyrgos is so peaceful.

www.donnashouse.gr

8. Re: Budget/B&B for 3 days, then Luxury for 4 days!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 06:16