We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Athens to Santorini Best Route

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Geneva to Athens to Santorini Best Route

My husband and I are planning a trip from Geneva to Athens on Sept 1 to Sept 6. We arrive in Athens 4pm on Sept 1st so the day is gone. Sept 2nd and 3rd we will tour Athens. Sept 3rd evening I was thinking about taking the night ferry to Santorini. Does anyone know what is the ferry website for rapid ferry (I know there is Bluestar ferry which is the regular speed but I want the fast speed website). Does anyone know how I can find out how to get from the port of Santorini to my hotel at 1 am night? Are there cabs? Is it safe?

Or do you think I should take the ferry next day Sept 4th in the morning.

Also we will have to get a ferry back for our flight on the 6th at 3pm! There is no way we will be able to take a ferry in the morning to make the airport by 12:30pm. But if we take a ferry on 5th evening, we have to spend hotel money just to get to Athens and sleep in. This sucks.

I also looked into flights online on Aeagean and Olympic Airlines but they are more than 343 euros for two people!

Thank you for any suggestions or help with websites etc.

Santorini Day Tours by Dimitris P.
Wine Tours & Tastings , Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Santorini Private Day Tours by Kostas S.
Day Trips, Archaeology Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Santorini Guided Tours
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours, Archaeology Tours
Santorini MTB Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Bike Tours
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,788 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva to Athens to Santorini Best Route

If at all possible I strongly suggest you either take a ferry or fly straight out to Santorini the same day as your arrival from Geneva. Saving Athens for the end prevents you from wasting time backtracking and removes the possibility of being stranded out on the island because of an unforseen cancellation due to high winds or mechanical breakdowns and missing your flight. You'll be able to relax and enjoy yourselves both on the island as well as back in Athens with an leisurely return to the airport for your homeward-bound flight.

Hellenic Seaways' website is the one for the fast ferry but it's a morning departure. There is a Blue Star ferry that leaves Piraeus around 6pm, so you should be able to get to the port with time to spare. Buy your ferry tickets at the airport from the travel desk of Amphitrion Holidays in the Arrivals Hall between Doors 2&3. Cash only, no CCs. Avoid the SuperJet for such a long trip. It's very small and seasickness can be epidemic aboard if the seas are at all choppy.

Getting from Santorini's ferry port, Athinios, to your hotel at 1am is no problem. The taxis and the hotels are all used to these late arrivals. Taxis are safe and your hotel might even offer a transfer service. If you're quoted too much for a private transfer just take a taxi. It shouldn't cost more than about €30 for a taxi. Have your hotel's phone number with you so the driver can call ahead for someone to meet you at a dropoff point the hotel will give to the driver. Chances are good that the "private transfer" will be a taxi driver sent by your hotel to pick you up, not someone actually from the hotel, so paying more is foolish.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva to Athens to Santorini Best Route

For such a short trip I would recommend forgetting about ferries and fly both ways to/from Santorini. There are evening flights with Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air that would fit well with your 4 pm arrival in Athens. Going to Santorini first by connecting flight would make best use of your time.

3. Re: Geneva to Athens to Santorini Best Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:19