We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

We were lucky enough to be in Santorini for the 2011 Ifaisteia Festival and arrived at our hotel just in time to witness the fireworks display. I know the Festival is typically held in August but was curious if anyone knew the date for the 2013 Festival? We will be arriving in Santorini at the end of August so I assume we will miss it this year but was still hoping :-)

Thanks,

JP

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

Find "Fotinos" here on TA and send him a PM. He has been able to get this information in past years.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

19th of August! santorini-hotels-travel.com/santorini-events

Ingela

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,910 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

The website Ingela mentions gives the place and date but not the time. Anybody know this?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

The fireworks take place over the volcano so pretty much anywhere from the island with views of the volcano you can watch the display. However, the best views are from Fira as this is the closest to the volcano. The fireworks display basically recreates the explostion with fireworks and lights streaming down the volcano to look like lava flowing.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

I discovered this festival accidentally in a humorous way. I was online and by chance went to a Santorini website with a webcam of the caldera as the fireworks were going off. Not knowing about the festival I thought the island was in danger again of erupting the way it did in 1956. I immediately called friends in Oia to ask if they were OK, only to have them laugh at me and tell me about the festival. Having avoided traveling there in August since 1987 I had no idea!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,910 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

Do you remember what the approximate time was in 2011, Grtgatsby?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

That is a great and funny story BLL (I cant imagine what it would look like with just the webcam and no audio). I suspect that had I not been told beforehand and I started hearing booms coming from the direction ofthe volcano, I would have been freaked out as well. We normally go to the island in late August (to avoid those exact crowds) and for some reason in 2011 the festival was later so it was lucky for us.

John, the display will take place after sunset so I assume if it is August 19, the fireworks and the display will not start prior to 2030-2100. As the time gets closer, most of the hotels should have a better indication of the time and confirm the 19th as the date.

Enjoy,

JP

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

until today we don't know exacly the date for ifesteia 2013, anyway isnot at 19 august.

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

ifaisteia 2012 was at 19 aug, for this year we don't know exacly the date, we know the next week.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,910 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ifaisteia Festival - 2013

Thanks. I'll be on Santorini that week so I'd like to know.