We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek islands with kids;which one is the best ?

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Greek islands with kids;which one is the best ?

We are from Turkey. We will be in Athens for one big family party only for 2 nights.Then we want to go to one of the best suitable island for kids .My plan was to take the ferry to one Cyclades islands and then from here to go to one of closest islands to Turkey seaside. Maybe Xios,or Samos which will be really easy to be back to Turkey. I have 8-9 days to spend with my 2 kids 7 and 9 years. Also another girl from family will be with me and her 2 kids . So 2 ladies+4 kids between 7-10 years.Our plan is to start it on 31st by ferry to one of the Cyclades islands end our holiday on 7th of Agst and take the ferry to Bodrum or Kuşadası. Looking forward to get your kidn helps as we have 4 amazing kids which they are very exciting for that trip :)

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek islands with kids;which one is the best ?

Actually there are not many ferries from the Cyclades to Samos, and as far as I know none to Xios.

You have an over-night sailing starting in Pireus, calling in at Syros August 6th. 23:40, further calling in at Mykonos 01:20 and arrival Vathi, Samos 10:00 the next morning. Tiring travel I am afraid.

The Dodecanese islands gives far more to choose among when it comes to transport to Turkey.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek islands with kids;which one is the best ?

With children you can stay at the beach (Kamari and Perissa) on Santorini, or Naxos would be a good choice for a family. Both are easily reached by ferry from Athens. On August 6 there is a 20:50 ferry departure from Naxos to Santorini arriving at 22:20, and at 00:50 on August 7 there is a ferry departure from Santorini for Kos arriving around 06:15. From there you can easily take the 16:30 or the 17:00 ferry across to Bodrum.

Be aware that the beaches on Santorini are black sand/pebbles/rock and get very hot in August, so bring beach shoes to protect your feet. Flip-flops don't work.

http://www.gtp.gr

http://www.feribot.net/feribot/?lang=tr

Edited: 24 July 2013, 17:29
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek islands with kids;which one is the best ?

I think if you are going to stop anywhere in the Cyclades it should probably be Syros. That's the only island (apart from Santorini) that has direct connections with islands near the Turkish coast (Samos). I'll have to confess I have no experience with Syros apart from stopping by ferry at Ermoupolis. The island does have some good beaches, though, popular with Greek tourists. I understand Galissas Beach is particularly good for families with children. Here is a page from the Angelfire website, written by someone whom I've met, and whose judgement I trust: www.angelfire.com/super2/greece/syros.html

4. Re: Greek islands with kids;which one is the best ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:19