We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

London
Level Contributor
47 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

We are a group of 4 adults exploring ways to get from Santorini to Athens on 11th October 2013.

I read from this forum that the Seajet is not recommended.

The 8 hours Blue Star seems more positively favoured. If that's the case, would it be better for me to book the room for 4, or the business class seats?

The obvious alternative is the 45min flight. It's very tempting but at the cost of EUR120 per person, it perceives as one of the most expensive domestic flight! Does this premium worth it?

Appreciate your expertise, experience and advise. Many thanks in advance folks.

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

You do not have book the ferry in October, so if you wait, you may get a discounted Aegean Airlines flight for around €40. They release them several times per year. Just sign up for their newsletter.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

Good advice from Ozzlem! Sometimes the discounted flights work out cheaper than highspeed ferries. Also check the Olympic Air website — they have seat sales as well.

As for the Blue Star ferry, I wouldn't book a 4 berth cabin unless you plan to sleep, and 3:30 pm is a little too early for my bedtime. Blue Star Naxos and Paros have very comfortable business class sections, and if it isn't full (unlikely) you may be able to stretch out on a sofa.

Mentioned in this post
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

I just found 4 seats on Aegean Airlines on October 11 for a total of € 279.22. Granted, it's an early-morning departure, but so what? It's worth it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

the cabins for 4 of you are nice on blue star

they have a shower and loo...or for more space get 2 x 2 berths

the benefit of the flight is you do not have to trek to the port of pireaus but

x96 bus goes there every 20 mins 5 euros

or take a cab

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

the early morning flight out of Athens is perfect if you coming in from Heathrow on BA or Aegean's night flights

they get in at 3 or 4am

very easy indeed

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

Blue Star ferries

http://tinyurl.com/399hk6x

Edited: 31 July 2013, 19:23
London
Level Contributor
47 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

thanks all for the messages and advices. no luck to get good deal yet on flights, although i actually prefer to fly.

if i take ferry arrive pireaus port at 11pm, what is the easiest way to get to Syntagma Square? (I aim to stay at the central area). Does Metro still operate at that time?

Many thanks once again for your help !

8. Re: Santorini - Athens. Ferry (business class, room) or Fly??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:18