We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini Taxi Warning

Radlett, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini Taxi Warning

Some of the taxi drivers are carrying out a practice which is in danger of ruining the reputation of the otherwise lovely people of Santorini.

On getting into a cab, the driver will unexpectedly tell you he has to pick up another passenger or try to keep you waiting while attempting to fill the car with more equally confused passengers. On one occasion the driver,on picking us up late at night in a very isolated area, told us he was picking up another fare. When I said no, he threatened to throw us out of the cab. I asked for his licence number & threatened to call the police. He relented.

Tourists of Santorini, apparently this has become a Greek- wide problem but only if people say they wont put up with it will it stop.

Santorini Day Tours by Dimitris P.
Wine Tours & Tastings , Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Santorini Private Day Tours by Kostas S.
Day Trips, Archaeology Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
SantoriniExperts
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Santorini MTB Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Bike Tours
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

Good luck stopping it. I've been going there since 1985 and it's been the custom at least that long. One way to get around it is to find some others to share with you before you talk to the taxi driver so he thinks you're all traveling together.

Radlett, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

It happened 3 times. I made it very plain I wasn't putting up with their nonsense & they soon got the picture.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

.. it's very common practice on all the isles.. at least on the couple of dozen I've been to over the past few decades:-) Many isles have a limited number of cabs and in Season, demand for them can be high so normal to pick up/drop off addt'l pax en route;-) I don't personally find it nonsense .. it serves everyone including the cab drivers who usually make most of their earnings for the year only in Season which can be anywhere from as little as a couple to maybe 3 or 4 months! FWIW, have met some great foks this way;-) Enjoy all!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,035 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

Whilst you maybe technically correct, it is standard practice in the Greek islands to fill taxis with people going to the same or near locations, and indeed to pick up others on the way. If they know you are separate parties they will be charged separately.

On some islands like Santorini or Mykonos there aren't many taxis during the summer to cater for demands and if they followed the rules to the letter you would have difficulty getting a taxi.

I always allow this sharing whether the driver asks or not as I know it aids in the shifting of people around an island better, also giving an incentive for say a taxi run at an awful hour for a ferry or something of that nature.

It is nothing new, I've been going for over 25 years.

Oz
Level Contributor
120 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

Just wondering how the fare will then be calculated. Do both parties pay the full amount each or is the regular fare just split between the two parties? Or is it something inbetween?

Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

I'm so used to it over the years that I always assumed it was just a Greek thing, sort of a less formal version of the "dolmus" taxis in Turkey and "sherut" taxis in Lebanon, Syria & Israel.

Indeed, it makes sense on smallish islands. There are only about 10 taxis on Sifnos, and if people from the same area are heading for the same ferry, it makes far better sense that they all get the same taxi and arrive at an appropriate time, rather than have to wait with fingers crossed for the taxi's last trip, or be delivered to the port with too much time to spare.

And, yes, it's nice to chat to others in your cab!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

It's a normal practice on islands with a small number of taxis. It's only on islands with a lot of competition where you can dictate your terms. In some places taxi drivers approach people waiting at bus stops and offer a ride if all are going to the same destination, allowing perfect strangers to share the fare. It happened to me at Rhodes airport, I also frequently see it in Agios Prokopios on Naxos. A very good deal if you're traveling with bags as it works out at a little more that the bus ticket but with much less hassle.

Anyway, what is so important about having a taxi all to yourself that warrants calling the police?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

The taxi driver will charge full price to both parties. That's why I suggested you try to find someone in advance to share with. Just don't tell the driver. That way the driver can't negotiate with them separately.

It's happened to me in Athens, so don't think it's just an isolated event.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 05:36
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

And I agree. It's really no big deal.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,746 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini Taxi Warning

It's happened to me in many places in Greece. We were in a taxi queue waiting to get to the airport in Mykonos a couple of years ago and agreed with another couple in the queue to share the taxi - at least that way we got to split the fare instead of being charged twice which is a bit of a rip off IMHO.

Did quite a detour once on Kalymnos to pick up the taxi driver's friend or relative from his house, I can just imagine my partner's face if that happened on the way home from the pub on a Saturday night here lol but it's happened to me a few times in Greece.