We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

Santorini to Palomo. Check in time i suspect is done on purpose to catch people out BEWARE! Check in 2230 but the flight is actually that morning the check in time is the day before. Multiple people had done the same on our night and the locals are pretty pissed about it happening every week too. No partial refund or attempt to help. Not even the baggage you have to pay extra for despite not flying. no caution of the time issue when tickets purchased. Extremly dishonest. I will never fly with then again. Please don't make the same mistake it cost us well over $600+ to rebook flights + hotel cancellations. The poor family of 4 that missed it must have had it worse. Safe travels :)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

Perhaps you could elaborate?

It looks like the departure is at 0150 on a Friday morning so check-in should be just before midnight on Thursday night. Is that right?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

Its pretty clear once you know its tricky. You see it clear as day. The boarding details and pass make it almost probable 10% of people get it wrong.

The local guy was so helpful almost made a business out of re-direting to emergency accommodation. He said its around 10 people every flight.

I've travelled quite some time to many places and like to think im pretty cluey but this one got me. I wish i had gave it a second look but we got married here and i didn't give it a second look until it was well to late.

Its one of those things if you got your mate to look at the printed boarding pass he probably get it wrong.

Its just one of those travel things but Volotea need to ammennd check in 30 mins forward and all is fixed. To much money to be had though.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

Why is it tricky? Does 01:50 mean something else in Australia? When did you arrive at the airport?

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

I must be having a 'blonde' day as I am still baffled! :O(

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

I don't understand the problem either. A flight in the early hours of the morning which means checking in late the night before - where is the confusion? Are we all missing something?

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

Another blonde here! What's the problem? Actual date of flight will be on tickets. Check in time is usually 2-3 hours before departure time. Stands to reason if flight is very early morning then check-in will be before midnight on previous day. Confused maybe, but not .CON

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

Yeah.. I think the problem encountered here was confusion with the date on the ticket.. if for example it's on Sunday, Sept 1st at 1:50a, am guessing folks showed up ON Sunday night.. not realizing that check-in would be the night before on Saturday, August 31st! I've done a couple of double takes myself with some of these flight times, lol!! Sorry for the mishap it caused you.. but congrats on the Wedding;-) Enjoy all!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

That's a shame that this has happened to you, no doubt you had a lot on your mind with the wedding etc.

However its definitely not the fault of the airline - there are many international flights eg Emirates who leave Australia at a similar time of the morning and you are required to check-in late the evening before. The difference may be that low cost airlines are not willing to rebook without you paying again - that is their policy and is clearly detailed in their terms. This is a risk we all take when using low cost airlines. I understand that you would be irritated however its not uncommon for low cost airlines to provide little in the way of assistance in sorting out the problem.

I used Volotea to fly from Italy to Santorini this summer and with the exception of a small lack of communication with regards to an almost 3 hour delay in the departure time I had no issue with them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

I'm thankful I came across this post! While I feel the pain and frustration of Elcarter848, I don't believe the airline was being dishonest. As I understand it, if check in time is 22.30, I would think that to mean 10.30pm. Nonetheless, this motivated me to double check my departure time for my upcoming trip to Palermo from Santorini. I booked a ticket departing at 1.35 arriving at 2.25... I have a sneaky suspicion that these times are referring to the wee morning hours now! If I'm correct (now), I don't know how I'm going to get to my hotel (say at 3.00 am to play it safe) without taking an astronomical taxi ride!!!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: volotea airline departing Santorini WARNING!

Airlines use the 24-hour clock, so yes, your flight is in the early hours of the morning.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 04:58