We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to combine with Santorini...Please help

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
429 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Where to combine with Santorini...Please help

Hi all,

I am part of a group traveling to Santorini in September 2014. We've booked a week on the island. It will be our second time there. Four of the eight of us are adding a week elsewhere - but we're not sure where that elsewhere should be.

We're not the type of travelers that enjoys hopping from one location to another. One week in two locations is how we prefer to travel.

Complicating things is the fact that Greece is hard to get to from almost everywhere. Of course, the easiest thing to do is add another island; possibly Rhodes, possibly Crete (Chania), but I'm worried that two weeks in two island locations might make the holiday a little "one-noted"

Since we've already been to Santorini, we thought it best that our second location be one that we haven't already visited. Below is a list of European cities we've visited in the past. I've ranked in order of preference to aide the reader in understanding what we enjoy.

Rome

Paris

Amsterdam

Madrid

Prague

Siena

Florence

Edinburgh

Salzburg

Barcelona

Cesky Krumlov

Istanbul

Vienna

Marbella

Venice

These are our parameters:

* No more than 6hrs transfer time to Santorini (the shorter the better)

* Not a city that we have previously visited

* $350 or less for one-way train, ferry, or airfare between Santorini and wherever.

* Enough to do and see to for a full week (we are late 30's early 40's and enjoy walking, sightseeing, restaurant culture, music culture and architecture).

*Not outrageously expensive for quality diggs (aka London)

High on the list of possibilities are:

**Lake Como, Italy - requires a train to/from Milan, then on to Santorini

**Seville, Spain - this requires we arrive on Santorini at, eeeeek, 3AM!

**Jerusalem - I may be the only one of the group that includes Jerusalem in the "possibilities" list.

Love to hear from folks that have combined Santorini with another destination. Where, why, how long did it take you to transfer to Santorini? If you found a great combination, please let us know.

FWIW - these are cities that we'd like to visit but do not seem possible given our parameters:

*Krakow

*Dublin

*Ljubljana

*San Sebastian

*Santiago de Compostela

*Dubrovnik

*Tallinn

*London

*Annecy

*Colmar

*Heidelberg

*Copenhagen

*Stockholm

*Riga

*Porto

*Lisbon

*Vilnius

*St.Petersberg

*Lauterbrunnen

*Lugano

*Berne

*...just realized this list is kind of ridiculous. The point is, there are lots of places we would really love to see. If you've read this far, bless you! Looking forward to your help.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to combine with Santorini...Please help

Wow, that is some list ... and some really interesting and diverse places on it too.

Impossible for anyone to give other than their own preferences really, but if it were me, I'd go for one of the simplest options - Istanbul or Rome - you can easily spent a week in either and wish you were there for another week or longer. Istanbul requires a flight via Athens and you can get connections with 3-4 hours door to door. Rome may be direct or via Athens. No need to consider packing clothes for cooler weather with those destinations either.

Good luck choosing :)

Prague, Czech...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to combine with Santorini...Please help

you are travelers and that's some list of city. I think at some point you could consider going back to some countries you have visited. I love the Czech Republic. Did you go further than Prague, for example Plzen Brno? You could do a recap of what you missed in some cities.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to combine with Santorini...Please help

hi..each greek island has its own character..santorini is a gorgeous island but close to it are so many islands offering something different..you just hop on the ferry(which is a cheap way to travel having a summer feel with the sea around you) and get to another unique island..mykonos is the most famous one ,but there are so many other options..i haven't heard anyone travelling to the greek islands and complaining about them being ''one-noted''..getting one greek island and then leaving them to go to another part of the world makes no sense to me..that's just my opinion of course..

here are some islands conected to dsantorini by ferry.

naxos

http://tinyurl.com/lc3suh9

paros

http://tinyurl.com/lboge6s

mykonos

http://tinyurl.com/l57l4eg

the list is endless...you can check the islands connected to santorini by ferry and the timetables here..it is too soon for the next year's timetables of course

http://www.openseas.gr/openseas/index.html

http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

Shepperton, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to combine with Santorini...Please help

Assume you are travelling to Santorini via Athens...you make no mention of having visited or wanting to visit Athens...really?

London would be doable from Santorini on a direct flight to London Gatwick with Easyjet, about 4 hrs and less than $250 if you book it early enough...plus a transfer to London Victoria via gatwick express rail ..about £20/$30..... you're right about the hotel prices though!

I'm not sure I could handle the stress of London (or any of the city's you mention), after relaxing on the islands for a week...I'd want to hop to Naxos and do the other week there, with 2/3 days in Athens on the way back.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
429 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to combine with Santorini...Please help

Thank you for you input...and again apologies about the lists. I should have previewed the post before I published it. Kind of makes my post sillyish long.

About the Czech Republic and London; one requires a crazy-long commute (CZ), and the other is just too expensive (IMHO). We'd love to visit London someday, but will need to do it on a higher budget than we've planned for this trip.

Rome was awesome and I'd love to go back. But the couple we're traveling with really wants to see another city and the last time we traveled together, it was in fact to Rome. Amazing place though. My favorite big city...so far ;-)

6. Re: Where to combine with Santorini...Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:19