We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiking of drinks in Fira town

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Spiking of drinks in Fira town

Has anyone heard of drinks getting spiked in Fira town bars/clubs? Had a bad experience the week before last when my son and I were in Fira town. We had been for a meal and then went to four bars and granted we had a few drinks but weren't drunk to the state that we were incapacitated, but we both woke up in a field miles from anywhere with total amnesia as to what had happened. Nothing was stolen except my son's waistcoat that he was wearing was missing. We have tried to recall what happened and it is a total blank.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

Probably a bar (or more) had some cheaper alkohol or not the best quality, maybe. It can be enough with only a shot and you feel like you have been taking drugs! This is very unfortunate and really bad whan bars are doing that, it soiles the reputation of our island and Greece, but still they do it...

lngela

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

Hi Grecophile 13

As you say no-one hurt and nothing taken so no real motive for anyone to slip you a mickey .

So probably as Ingela mentioned cheap spirits and - or large measures .

It's very unlikely that you would be drugged just for a laugh be it anywhere not just in Greece .

Sexual or criminal intent is generally the reason for such actions .

This kind of question comes up not too often but occasionally on forums for Kavos , Malia , Laganas etc

Edited: 14 September 2013, 08:49
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

I doubt it was bad or strong alcohol. A blackout resulting in you waking up the next day in a field with both of you with no memory of the events that put you there would take more than that. Although it's quite rare, this is not the first time I've heard of it happening in Fira. I'm just glad for your sake that you did not suffer any serious negative consequences.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

I can't believe that alcohol alone, no matter how much you have nor how poor the quality, would be enough to affect two adults to the point where they both end up in a field, neither of them knowing how they got there. It's got to have been something was added.

A similar thing happened to my sister a few years ago, although not in Greece I hasten to add, she was in her local bar in our home town. She went out on the Friday night and woke up in hospital on the Saturday afternoon with no recollection of anything from the previous night. Luckily, no harm had come to her and nothing had been stolen either. Whatever was in the drink didn't really take effect until she'd got home. My niece found her unconcious at the bottom of the stairs when she got home an hour or so later and took her to A&E.

As to why nothing other than a waistcoat was taken, I've no idea. There's nowt as queer as folk, as we say up North.

Martin

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

Don't agree! Why would anyone spike drinks?? Specially since you did NOT get robbed! No, it's all because of bad alkohol, I know since it has happened to me with only 2 margaritas and also to some friends. IF you were drinking tequila, that's what got you sick in case it was fake!

Ingela

Edited: 15 September 2013, 14:16
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

And yes, it happened to my parents, but in Sweden when they only had a few shots of alkohol which was home made...They both had blackouts and were sick for 3 days after!

Ingela

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

We Brits would be aware of illegal cheap dodgy "farm yard vodka" with fake labels ,being sold in some corner shops and vans .

In Greece it only seems to happen in the large resorts. Probably safer to drink grandfather's tsipouro , might still finish up in a field, but at least not poisoned.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

Well we can't explain what happened to us. Yes as I said before we had a few drinks but as far as I am aware nothing to the point that we would both blackout. The first bar was doing buy two get two free. We were invited to sit down and brought a menu of the cocktails. I picked black russian and my son had s*x on the beach. The drinks were prepared at the bar and brought over to us, so there was an opportunity for something to be slipped in them. At the subsequent bars we bought our drinks at the bar and saw them being prepared. I wouldn't normally go to club type bars but I went for my son who is only 27 and wanted to experience the night life. I guess we will never have the answer to this, but it will be my first and last night of going to bars in Fira town if I ever have the opportunity again.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

Also as a post script, avoid Stamna Garden Taverna. My son and I were going to El Greco Taverna which is next door as we had already had a takeaway pizza from them as recommended by the owner of our hotel, Milos Villas in Fira. We were walking past Stamna and the man on the door tried to get us in. I explained my son wanted pizza and we were going next door to which point another man from inside started shouting "we do pizza, we do pizza, look" and then proceeded to tell me to "f off". They were very hostile so I would advise to avoid them.

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Spiking of drinks in Fira town

Well we can't explain what happened to us. Yes as I said before we had a FEW drinks but as far as I am aware nothing to the point that we would both blackout. "The first bar was doing buy two get two free". "At the subsequent bars....................." How many is a few?