We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

I am looking into the possibility of visiting Athens whilst on Santorini - because we will be going for two weeks I think a couple of days off the Island would be a possible idea. I want to see the Acropolis and all the other attractions around the ancient parts of Greece.

I am thinking of getting a boat over to Athens and staying for one, maybe two nights - then returning to our apartments in Santroni?

Is this doable? Would it be reasonably priced? Would Athens be easy to navigate and find the hotel ourselves from the port?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

Not sure we flew from Santorini to Athens as the ferry was too long..Did hop on off bus around Athens was fun.. It goes to the Acropolis too.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

hi..i may be missing something,but you will leave greece form athens ,this is where you will catch your flight home,right?

so why not save a few days at the end of the trip instead for athens,,that way you will avoid two unecessary tripr(santorini to athens and athens to santorini ) in the middle of your holidays which will take time,energy and money..

as for athens,if you go to athens forum and do a bit of a search(by typing the key words in athens forum research bar) or even post a new question you will find the answers,..

Edited: 08 October 2013, 19:54
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

I will fly into and out of Santorini as I am booking a package holiday. Just thinking of visiting Athens whilst there. It might not be possible, with travelling times etc... I was just a thought.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,407 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

Yes, of course it's possible as long as you have the time to spend. Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air both serve Santorini and periodically offer deeply-discounted 'saver' fares equivalent in cost to the car ferry economy fare and it only takes 30 minutes vs. 8 hours for the ferry so you'd have all that extra time in Athens to explore. Take the early-morning flight so you have all of that first day in the city.

Sign up for the airlines' email newsletters so you are informed well in advance of the ticket sales. Prices go as low as €39, all taxes included. The car ferry is €37.50 (Blue Star Ferries).

From either the ferry port or the airport you can take a metro into central Athens to the Monastiraki metro station, and there are some very affordable hotels nearby. Check the Pella Inn, Plaka Hotel, Metropolis Hotel, Hermes Hotel, Central Hotel and Attalos Hotel for starters. They're all within easy walking distance to the metro station. You can also use the filter system at http://www.booking.com to find more hotels in Athens.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

Yes we got a good deal on the flight too... better than 8 hrs by ferry.

Thanks brotherleelove for all your help.. Did Athens hop on/off while the ship was in port and then at the end took metro and did the Plaka.. Great city and people. Thank goodness for TA..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

Thanks all, I will keep an eye out for offers on the flights as that appears to be the best way.

7. Re: Has anybody ever done a trip to Athens from Santorini?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:18