We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on Athens portion

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
63 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on Athens portion

I know this is more of an Athens question, but I figured that more people from the Santorini forum would have had a similar experience and would love to hear opinions.

We are following all the recommendations that I have read here on flying back to Athens the day before our flight back to the US. We want to see at least some of Athens and plan on leaving Santorini early in the morning to fly to Athens. My question is, do you recommend staying at the airport Sofitel and just taking the metro back and forth for the day in/out of Athens that day for the convenience of not having to take your luggage into the city and being right at the airport the day of the flight, or do you think it is worth it to get a hotel in the city for the night to get more of the flavor and not having to worry about getting back to the airport after dinner, etc.?

Ideally, we would stay in Athens another day or two and stay in the city, but I don't want to cut Santorini any shorter than the 5 nights we will be there.

Thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on Athens portion

The Sofitel is a very expensive hotel. You have a third option. You can leave your luggage at the airport, take a hotel in town, then collect your luggage before you check in for your flight home. Pacific Travel in the Arrivals Hall has a left luggage service by exit/entry door #1. http://www.pacifictravel.gr/baggage.html

Or, if your plan starts with some days in Athens you can go to Santorini when you first arrive and just save them all for the end so you aren't backtracking.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
63 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on Athens portion

Thank you! Unfortunately, this one day is the only day we have in Athens since the entire trip, including the red eye over is one week total. Leaving our luggage at the airport is another good option! Ugh, this is the one portion of the trip I'm struggling with.

The two hotels I'm looking at, the Sofitel and the AVA Hotel at both almost exactly the same price for a standard room, about $270 USD from what I can see.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 22:18
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on Athens portion

Sofitel is a good choice if you have an early morning flight the next day — i've stayed there a couple times myself. Otherwise, IMO, it would be better to stay in central Athens and enjoy the evening there. If you don't want to schlep your luggage on the metro, take a taxi directly to/from your hotel. There are lots of nice hotels in central Athens with prices lower than Sofitel.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
63 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on Athens portion

Thank you, that's the way I'm leaning, taxi and Athens hotel, but the convenience of the airport hotel is appealing too. After the total price of the trip, a splurge of a taxi to/from the airport is just a drop in the bucket I guess! Our flight is around 11:30am I believe so not Incredibly early.

California
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on Athens portion

The location of the AVA Hotel is amazing!

6. Re: Opinions on Athens portion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:17