We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organising wedding in Santorini

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Organising wedding in Santorini

Would appreciate if anyone can help me on this topic

I would like to organise a wedding in Santorini in September 2015. Does anyone have any idea how much it will cost? I am planning to invite 50 - 60 guests for wedding ceremony and dinner

What is the weather like in Santorini during September? Would ideally want to have an outdoor ceremony so hopefully it will be dry!

Where on the Island is best to get married?

How much in advance should I book the venue?

Any recommendation on wedding planner? Or is it better to organise and look for caterer yourself?

Thank you very much for your help!

Edited: 08 December 2013, 08:49
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,419 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

Hi Richard and welcome,

There is a lot of Greek paperwork involved and that is why most people use a "wedding planning service".

I suggest you google "Wedding planning service Santorini" and then ask here on TA what people think of individual companies.

It is of course possible to do it all yourself but ...........!

Happy planning,

Bob

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

Richard,

Welcome to the forums.

Since Santorini is a popular wedding destination, many of your questions have been asked before. I suggest you start by making use of the search facility (it defaults to 'relevance', so for more up-to-date answers, use the drop down to change it to 'date'). Enter your questions, see what answers come up and you can start making some lists of what will work for you and your fiancée.

Popular venues do get booked months, if not years in advance.

Only you can decide whether or not you want to employ the services if a wedding planner. However, I'd pay careful attention to the legal requirements you have to comply with (translated and notarised documents, etc.) From reading about these throughout the years, they seem extensive.

You can use the private messaging (PM) facility to send specific questions to members if you want. Especially if someone's wedding has been and gone, they may not be posting on this forum any more.

Good luck.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 13:02
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

A few further thoughts:

"I suggest you google "Wedding planning service Santorini" and then ask here on TA what people think of individual companies."

============

That's a start. However, keep in mind that people visiting for a vacation and those planning a wedding may be looking for completely different things during their time on the island. All I know about Santorini weddings is what I've read on the forum over the years. I couldn't tell you firsthand about vendors. This is where the PM facility may become useful.

A other thing you'll discover quickly about Santorini brides (and grooms). There seems to be a few types of postings:

The first asks the questions.

The second type gives a very gushy "everything was wonderful". Quite often this is the first and only posting on the forum.

Then, there is the "everything went wrong / we didn't get what we wanted".

So, you may need to become skilled at reading between the lines when looking at reviews/postings.

Lastly, I don't know if you're aware, but TA has a separate forum for 'destination weddings'. You could look on there to see if it has anything that might be beneficial to you and your fiancée.

4. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 January 2014, 22:35
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

#4. Not again.

perth australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

Hi richard

im starting to arrange our wedding for may 2016...there seems to b so many bloody critics on this..n awesome people with tips..

im gearing towards santo winery for ceremony

pyrgos taverna for reception as they seem to b one of d places who do late bar n music etc

thinking of going nikos he seems good reviews n replies to email asap

let me know what info you come cross we might bw able to help eaxh other

Blackwood, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

Hi Richard,

I'm getting married in Santorini in Sept 2015 and after A LOT of research, we decided to go with a wedding planning service. We are using Ionian Weddings as they are based in London but have planners in Santorini. We have got a package with them based on 35 people and they are quite competitive in their prices. It all depends on how detailed you want your package though as to how much you pay. Their packages can start at €3500. We are getting married at Dana Villas and having our reception at La Maltese Estate. However bare in mind that where you have your wedding/reception and the time of year can influence the price. Our venues are not the usual venues you see offered but we went to Santorini a few years ago and absolutely love them. Ionian weddings have been so accommodating and patient with all our questions also and they have provided us with a (very long) helpful document detailing all the paperwork side of things and translation of paperwork guidelines etc. I can't recommend them enough!

In terms of your other questions, Santorini is around the late 30s temperature wise in September and we have had to book 2 1/2 years in advance to get our venues. This is not the case for all venues though.

Santorini is a stunning place though. Happy planning!

Thessaloniki, Greece
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

Hi! Congratulations. I got married in September too and the weather was fantastic and not too crowded as well. There are many nice venues, I got married in Saint Irene... very nice. Dont do it yourself something might go wrong and you dont want this the day of your wedding. I used Anna Vafeiadou as my wedding planner! Fantastic person, very professional! Everything was I wanted!!!! Feel free to ask me anything you want.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

Kiki,

I'm really happy everything went so well for your wedding.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that postings with roughly the same content can (sometimes) be considered spam according to TA rules.

So, in posting on different threads, you run the risk of your valid thoughts being diluted. Do, please don't do yourself an injustice. The search facility will pick up your topics.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 19:16
Thessaloniki, Greece
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Organising wedding in Santorini

Thank you. Sorry I didn't know. Just trying to help