We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

Sunnyvale...
2 posts
Save Topic
Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

Hello - My wife and I are looking to spend 4 days in Santorini and 3 days in Mykonos. Since this is considered "low season", is this still a good time to go? Is the weather nice? Is it too early for the beaches? How is the night life?

Any tips and advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Phil

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

hi and welcome..indeed mid may is still low season..whether it is ''good to go'' depends on what you will expect..if you expect for example mykonos to have the lively nightlife it is famous of in mid may you won't find that..you will find a beautiful main town,with whitewashed houses,not too many people around,apart from the time the cruise ships arrive,in which case the main town will be full of them during the day..

santorini in mid may sounds more promising,as you will be able to enjoy the famous cliff views from the villages hanging from the cliffs (oia,fira,firostefani,imerovigli) without a zillion people around..again,when cruise ships arrive,they (especially oia which gets full) will have more people around..the first answer of this thread gives you an idea of these 4 villages

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189433-i245-k55…

keep in mind that these two are by far the most expensive islands in greece..though in low season the prices will be better ,..but still you can find much cheaper islands if you want to..i still think santorini is a must though,and staying in one of these 4 villages i mentioned and enjoying the cliff views is amazing..if you

end up choosing these two islands but want to be careful with your budget make your homework here in TA before you arrive..there are already many threads in santorini's and mykonos' forums with advice about cutting costs by avoiding tourist traps in these two islands,otherwise start your own thread in these two forums about it.the experts can give you great advice about reasonable accomodation in these two islands as well

as for the weather,no one can predict it,but i would definitely go to the beaches and test the water,,it is going to be chilly for sure but having done all this way and not swim wouldn't be an option for me lol..if you definitely want beach weather to be ''certain'' make this trip in june and afterwards

mykonos town

http://tinyurl.com/l9gh5mq

santorini

http://tinyurl.com/lxfwnm3

Edited: 22 December 2013, 12:50
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

by ''reasonable'' accomodation i meant reasonably priced

Sunnyvale...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

Thank you so much for the reply. It sounds very enticing to go when there are less crowds and we have more of the island to ourselves.

Cheers - Phil

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

You would definitely see fewer crowds on Mykonos, and have much more of the island to yourselves, if you visit in mid-May. Many businesses on the island (shops, restaurants, bars, clubs and hotels) are just opening up for the season during May, or getting ready to open, so you would get to see Mykonos Town gradually come more and more to life each day. There's a nice vibe on the island, with a bit of excitement and eagerness in the air for the new season ahead.

May is also a great time to take an excursion over to Delos island to see the historic ruins and archaeological museum. You can take a ferry in the morning and return in early afternoon, leaving you plenty of time to continue enjoying Mykonos.

Weather-wise, May used to be great, but that has changed in recent years. May is our usual travel time, and we typically found the weather on Mykonos (and Santorini when we used to go there) to be mainly sunny and warm to hot during the day, with cool evenings (especially on Mykonos). Since 2010, however, the weather patterns have changed noticeably, and May now brings considerably more cloudy weather, wind, rain and even massive thunderstorms than it used to. Chances are you'll encounter good weather, but don't be surprised if conditions suddenly change. Pack a travel umbrella just in case, and be sure to bring footwear with good-gripping soles. Many of the streets in Mykonos Town are paved with cobblestone and flagstone, and can be very slippery to walk during and after rainfalls.

The notoriously wild nightlife on Mykonos really doesn't get going until June, but in May you'll find enough bars open in Mykonos Town to have a good time at night if you are looking to go out to party. Skandinavian Bar is usually the busiest place at that time of season.

Beaches will not be crowded and you may encounter work crews still installing lounge chairs and umbrellas on many of the beaches during May. Some, but not many, people will be swimming, but the water will be cold.

I have thousands of photos of Mykonos (and many of Delos and Santorini, too) on my Flickr page, and since most of the pics were shot during May visits, you will get a good idea of how busy the various beach and town areas will be. Here's a link to the photos: www.flickr.com/photos/mygreecetravelblog/ Click on the three dots near the top right corner of the main Flickr page, then click on "collections" on the drop down menu to find the photos faster.

There is extensive information about Mykonos, including photos and videos and restaurant information, plus detailed reports on my 2012 visit to the island, on my personal travel blog: http://mygreecetravelblog.com/

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
167 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

Hello, sorry for gatecrashing your post, its just we are looking to do a similar trip (2 nights Athens, 4 nights Santorini, 2 nights Ios and 2 nights Mykonos in early June. I have found some great value hotels which I can share with you, but I would like an idea of how much spends you would need for the trip?

Thanks

Helen

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

The busy time of the year for santorini is longer than any of the ofther greek islands due to its iconic status, I am sure you will find may to be a steller time to visit and the prices will be cheaper which always helps

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

I'm not sure about "iconic", but it's certainly the mosy hyped (see also, most expensive).

To many people outside of Europe (quite possibly, inside Europe too), Santorini, along with Mykonos, ARE the Greek Islands.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 13:09
Level Contributor
1 post
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

Hi,

I visited ornos in Mykonos for 4 days in May last year and have book again for a week mid may this year. The weather was lovely and warm apart from one day of intermittent storms. It mostly in the evening so didn't really make any difference. The beach was lovely and quiet but all the restaurants on the beach and near by were all open. The sun loungers were free which usually cost about 12 euros in high season. Like someone else said if you want it to be lively then you won't get that in may. But however if you want it to be affordable and pleasant weather give it a go.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

I visited ornos in Mykonos for 4 days in May last year and have book again for a week mid may this year. The weather was lovely and warm apart from one day of intermittent storms.

==============

You're lucky. It was blowing a gale on Santorini from May through to September last year. Not necessarily cold, but blustery.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini & Mykonos in Mid-May 2014

Kennydon, it was much the same on Mykonos. In mid-May last year the weather was up and down like a yo-yo ... just as it was in mid May 2012.